Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #1 
danifacetastic

Ghost Shrimp Dying?

I know it's not bettas but they're in my betta tank. I got some ghost shrimp on Halloween night, 6 of them, and put them in with my bettas. The bettas haven't payed any attention to them. I've given them cucumbers to eat. Now in the past 24 hours 2 have died...any ideas?
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:53 AM   #2 
aurasoulful

What are your water perimeters? Also did you slowly accumulate them into the tank? Temp adjustment for half and hour, then water chemistry adjustment for another half hour? Is there plenty of plant cover for them to hide in? Some shrimps are in weaker shape when you get them. Do any of them look white? If they turn opaque white, they are nearing death. Sorry they died so soon :(
aurasoulful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:23 AM   #3 
Bombalurina

Shrimp are far more sensitive to nitrates than fish are, so maybe your nitrates are high?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:21 AM   #4 
heathbar

Have you medicated the tank at any point in time? In addition to the usual water chemistry issues, invertebrates are extremely sensitive to copper which is in a lot of fish medications.
heathbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:13 AM   #5 
danifacetastic

I've never checked the parameters in my tank but I've had the tank for over a year now with no problem. I didn't acclimate the shrimp either. They've been in there for 2 weeks now and seemed fine and then two of them just died. There are plants to hide in and they hide often because I hardly ever see them. I'm assuming there's still 4 left but I can only see 2 without moving a bunch of things around. Also I've never medicated the fish.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Ghost shrimp are short lived to start (1-2yr) and since they are generally sold for a live fish food not as pets-they don't always receive the best care....if the ones that died are really big to start...it was most likely age related and make sure there are bodies in the exoskeleton too...sometimes it can look like a dead body when its really a molt......you can't really treat shrimp with any medication and as posted already-high nitrate can be a issue.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #7 
danifacetastic

I saw them shed a few times and then I found the two lying on their backs dead (but they were bigger) and one has just disapeered now haha.