Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #1 
bastage

Help me pick a new Tank for 4 Females.

So before anyone starts in on the size I am putting 4 females in a small tank. They are my 4x VT girls & they all get along famously. They were in my main sorority, but they would team up & pick on the CT's so they got pulled for a few days as I was going to ship them to a friend. Well they have been in a 2.5 gallon with nothing but a few plastic plants & some duckweed. Well I would like to add a filter & a heater.

Now this is NOT a big table. So they will not be getting a 10g as I know everyone is going to tell me its inhumane to have them in anything smaller. The tank needs to be no more then about 6-8" deep, but can be 12-14 inches long & tall. It also needs to be able to sit flush against the wall. So if it comes with a filter it needs to either be internal or built into the lid. Nothing that hangs on the back.

Any ideals for tanks?
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

Uh find another place to put the tank and get them something suitable? Other than that, custom build a tank out of glass or acrylic. I can't with a clear mind/heart/conscious tell you to get something smaller than a 10g. Sorry :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:34 PM   #3 
bastage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Uh find another place to put the tank and get them something suitable? Other than that, custom build a tank out of glass or acrylic. I can't with a clear mind/heart/conscious tell you to get something smaller than a 10g. Sorry :(
It will be an upgrade if its anything above a 2.5g.. If they dont get a bigger tank to go there then they will stay in the 2.5 as that's where the wife says she likes them.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

I'm totally walking away from this one, I tend to get into to much drama. Just please think about what you're doing here, 4 Bettas in a 2.5g tank. Think about it, please.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #5 
bastage

Quote:
I'm totally walking away from this one, I tend to get into to much drama. Just please think about what you're doing here, 4 Bettas in a 2.5g tank. Think about it, please.
Apparently I am if I am asking for recommendations on a bigger tank that will suit the purpose.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #6 
kathstew

Perfect Tank ever

Last edited by kathstew; 11-14-2011 at 09:06 PM.
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #7 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastage View Post
The tank needs to be no more then about 6-8" deep, but can be 12-14 inches long & tall.
Solved your own problem. Find an 8" x 14" x 14" tank or something close to it. It's just under 7 Gallons.

No offense, but just because "somebody likes it that way" doesn't mean the VT girls should suffer. What if your wife said she liked them to be kept in drinking glasses, would you oblige?
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:04 PM   #8 
vilmarisv

Can it be longer?? http://www.petco.com/product/14978/P...sultRedirect=1
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #9 
jman828

Quote:
I agree, that's less than 1 gallon each.....not good

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
Solved your own problem. Find an 8" x 14" x 14" tank or something close to it. It's just under 7 Gallons.

No offense, but just because "somebody likes it that way" doesn't mean the VT girls should suffer. What if your wife said she liked them to be kept in drinking glasses, would you oblige?
+1.....Exactly or even more comparative what if your wife liked you in a tiny room where it was much too small.......like bahamanut said no offense but it needs to be bigger such as 8x14x14
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:03 PM   #10 
bastage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathstew View Post
Too big in all dimensions.. The shape is perfect if I could get it smaller though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post

Solving my own problem would be linking the tank with those dimensions, but as I have not found one problem is still the same as when it began.

These 4 VT girls would probably do fine in a 1/2 gallon. When they were in my 20 tall with the CT's they were never more then 6" apart from each other. Even now with them in this tiny ass 2.5g they are always on top of each other. I don't see it as inhumane at all keeping them in a smaller then normal tank. Keeping them in the 2.5g there in now, certainly too small. But again my intentions are not to keep them in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
The bookshelf is a consideration. Really though the beauty of the fish would be lost in it with it as low as it is sitting across the back edge of the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman828 View Post
I agree, that's less than 1 gallon each.....not good

+1.....Exactly or even more comparative what if your wife liked you in a tiny room where it was much too small.......like bahamanut said no offense but it needs to be bigger such as 8x14x14
For your 1st quote it makes me wonder if you read the thread?

For the 2nd, well I didn't want to get along with what the wife said then one of us could move out. So either these fish get the tank there going to get on my table or they can be re-homed to some random person on CL that will probably feed them to an Oscar or something.

People really need to get off there high horses.. Not every fish is going to get its own 5 gallons. Its just not feasible. Currently I have 18 betta's & other then this group the smallest any of them has is my orange CT male Micro who lives in a 2 gallon hex at work on my desk. I am out of places to put them & since they cant get along in the sorority, but they get along just fine with each other they get a smaller tank.

Last edited by Romad; 11-15-2011 at 04:13 AM.