Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2011, 08:23 AM   #1 
Gen2387

Going to USA in 2 weeks.

So.... I'm from Canada and in about 2 weeks I'm going to the US with my family and I won't have a LOT of time to shop but I was thinking of stopping by a WalMart to see the aquariums. Walmarts here have NO choice... what do you recommend? Or if I have time to stop by 1 animal store which one do you recommend?
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #2 
Gen2387

Also, can I buy a Betta while I'm there. I don't have a lot of travelling, maybe 1.5 hour tops. What's the law about crossing with a fish? Is it allowed?
Old 11-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #3 
heathbar

Where exactly in the US will you be going? Petco's usually have the best selection of betta's, but if there is a good locally owned pet store near where you will be staying that's where I would go to look first.
heathbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #4 
heathbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen2387 View Post
Also, can I buy a Betta while I'm there. I don't have a lot of travelling, maybe 1.5 hour tops. What's the law about crossing with a fish? Is it allowed?
If you are driving across the boarder it should be fine to bring a betta with you.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:02 AM   #5 
mjoy79

I would actually recommend not going to Walmart for a betta. Petco would be my recommendation :)
I think between US/Canada you should be fine with a fish :)
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #6 
Pitluvs

Importation of Pet Aquatic Animals
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #7 
heathbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Yikes, I hope you'll be traveling back before that goes into effect on Dec. 10th. It sounds like declaring them might not be so hard though, they only need your name, the name of the place you bought the fish, species name and country of origination.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

Quote:
When importing an aquatic animal, an import permit will not be required when the owner can:
  • present proof of their identity and their ownership of the aquatic animal to the inspector at the point of entry into Canada
  • attest to the fact that the pet animal has not been taken to a show or display outside of Canada
  • keep the pet animal in their household aquarium
  • ensure the pet animal is not exposed to any aquatic animals other than those kept in the household, for one year following the importation
  • not import another pet aquatic animal for the period of 90 days after the importation
  • keep all records of the importation
So, what if I am driving from Alaska to NY with 22 fish and Canada just happens to be in my way?? Not to mention one dog and one chinchilla...
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:28 AM   #9 
Pitluvs

If you travel through Canada, you're still importing into Canada I would think. The reason for all these laws is to prevent something not native to our country from entering such as diseases. I believe with fur animals, you need to have a vet authorize they are healthy and can travel as well as updated shots and rabies. At least that's what I was told when I wanted to bring a dog from USA to Canada. That's totally something you should look into, I would hate for your babies to be QT'd for 10 days :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #10 
Gen2387

Lol! I forgot to add that I will be in Plattsburgh NY. Is there a Petco close by?