Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #1 
bastage

Family Site Language.. Rant

So I have seen on more then 1 occasion where one member has told another member that this is a family site & that there language was not appropriate.. On more then 1 of these occasions what was said was not classified as a curse word by any government & are words that are alowed to be said on PBS.

So if there is a problem with words being said why isnt the language filter in vbulliten being used so that users dont need to police other users.

If this is a feature that the admin was un-aware of it's "Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Censorship Options -> Censored Words"
Old 11-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #2 
BellasMomma

I know wat you are talking about... I believe that people on this website shouldn't use harsh words because there are young people on here but with that said their parents are letting them use the internet so let them do the parenting. I have never seen anyone using really bad words on here though...
Old 11-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

Users don't really need to be policing other users any how. I really don't care about language but occasionally I do report it if it's really bad. Instead of having a language filter each member should just take it upon themselves to respect the rules put forth by the Admin who so graciously hosts this site.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #4 
mjoy79

Just my opinion - you're taking time to type out a post. Just take a couple of extra moments to think of an appropriate English word instead. There is a difference between this forum (where there are rules in place for a reason) and when you're having a conversation in "real life" where you might not have a moment to think of a better word. People from all different walks of life are on this forum and not everyone whether they are children or not want to read certain words.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #5 
ShyDog

I think is this more directed towards the act of policing other members. No one likes it when non mods (speaking as an X Mod of a forum) take it upon themselves to be moderators. They are not mods for a reason :) be it time, knowlege, or likability.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #6 
Pitluvs

I'm sorry. From now on I won't ask someone to use polite language on a forum with children, I'll just report it to the Moderators and they can be the bad guy. After so many reports, banning starts to look good. Sorry for trying to help a member out, from now on reporting it is.

And I'm sorry but witch with a b should NOT be posted on a family forum. If I can't say the adult word for poop, you shouldn't be saying that word either IMO.

I'm really not liking how many poop disturbers there are on the boards lately O_o
Old 11-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #7 
diablo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastage View Post
On more then 1 of these occasions what was said was not classified as a curse word by any government & are words that are alowed to be said on PBS. "[/b]
Wait, there's actually a list of forbidden words?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #8 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I'm sorry. From now on I won't ask someone to use polite language on a forum with children, I'll just report it to the Moderators and they can be the bad guy. After so many reports, banning starts to look good. Sorry for trying to help a member out, from now on reporting it is.

And I'm sorry but witch with a b should NOT be posted on a family forum. If I can't say the adult word for poop, you shouldn't be saying that word either IMO.

I'm really not liking how many poop disturbers there are on the boards lately O_o
I did that once - mentioned about the family friendly forum thing to someone. But after that I just decided to skip it and hit report since I figured it was easier that way.

I agree!
Old 11-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #9 
bastage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post

Was it used in the proper dictionary context?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bitching

Why yes, it in fact was.. To call someone by that without the ing at the end would be an insult as the meaning is refering specifically to a female dog. However if I said I have a purebred beagle stud & I have been trying to find him a bitch then that is again using the proper word.

And this was actually in responce to policing someone saying "BS"
Old 11-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #10 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastage View Post
Was it used in the proper dictionary context?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bitching

Why yes, it in fact was.. To call someone by that without the ing at the end would be an insult as the meaning is refering specifically to a female dog. However if I said I have a purebred beagle stud & I have been trying to find him a bitch then that is again using the proper word.

And this was actually in responce to policing someone saying "BS"
If there is a better word for it, why not use the better word? In this case "whining" or "complaining".
As far as the BS thing - it is short for something that most people knows what that is and it was used in a rude manner. It could have been left out and he would have still gotten his point across.
Closed Thread