Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #1 
bastage
Member
 
bastage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boise ID
Family Site Language.. Rant

So I have seen on more then 1 occasion where one member has told another member that this is a family site & that there language was not appropriate.. On more then 1 of these occasions what was said was not classified as a curse word by any government & are words that are alowed to be said on PBS.

So if there is a problem with words being said why isnt the language filter in vbulliten being used so that users dont need to police other users.

If this is a feature that the admin was un-aware of it's "Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> Censorship Options -> Censored Words"
bastage is offline  
Old 11-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #2 
BellasMomma
Member
 
BellasMomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Las Vegas, NV.
I know wat you are talking about... I believe that people on this website shouldn't use harsh words because there are young people on here but with that said their parents are letting them use the internet so let them do the parenting. I have never seen anyone using really bad words on here though...
BellasMomma is offline  
Old 11-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #3 
1fish2fish
Member
 
1fish2fish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Savannah, GA
Users don't really need to be policing other users any how. I really don't care about language but occasionally I do report it if it's really bad. Instead of having a language filter each member should just take it upon themselves to respect the rules put forth by the Admin who so graciously hosts this site.
1fish2fish is offline  
Old 11-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #4 
mjoy79
Member
 
mjoy79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Just my opinion - you're taking time to type out a post. Just take a couple of extra moments to think of an appropriate English word instead. There is a difference between this forum (where there are rules in place for a reason) and when you're having a conversation in "real life" where you might not have a moment to think of a better word. People from all different walks of life are on this forum and not everyone whether they are children or not want to read certain words.
mjoy79 is offline  
Old 11-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #5 
ShyDog
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Iowa
I think is this more directed towards the act of policing other members. No one likes it when non mods (speaking as an X Mod of a forum) take it upon themselves to be moderators. They are not mods for a reason :) be it time, knowlege, or likability.
ShyDog is offline  
Old 11-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #6 
Pitluvs
Member
 
Pitluvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm sorry. From now on I won't ask someone to use polite language on a forum with children, I'll just report it to the Moderators and they can be the bad guy. After so many reports, banning starts to look good. Sorry for trying to help a member out, from now on reporting it is.

And I'm sorry but witch with a b should NOT be posted on a family forum. If I can't say the adult word for poop, you shouldn't be saying that word either IMO.

I'm really not liking how many poop disturbers there are on the boards lately O_o
Pitluvs is offline  
Old 11-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #7 
diablo13
Member
 
diablo13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Crab State! In other words, Maryland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastage View Post
On more then 1 of these occasions what was said was not classified as a curse word by any government & are words that are alowed to be said on PBS. "[/b]
Wait, there's actually a list of forbidden words?
diablo13 is offline  
Old 11-15-2011, 11:50 AM   #8 
mjoy79
Member
 
mjoy79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I'm sorry. From now on I won't ask someone to use polite language on a forum with children, I'll just report it to the Moderators and they can be the bad guy. After so many reports, banning starts to look good. Sorry for trying to help a member out, from now on reporting it is.

And I'm sorry but witch with a b should NOT be posted on a family forum. If I can't say the adult word for poop, you shouldn't be saying that word either IMO.

I'm really not liking how many poop disturbers there are on the boards lately O_o
I did that once - mentioned about the family friendly forum thing to someone. But after that I just decided to skip it and hit report since I figured it was easier that way.

I agree!
mjoy79 is offline  
Old 11-15-2011, 12:02 PM   #9 
bastage
Member
 
bastage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boise ID
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
And I'm sorry but witch with a b should NOT be posted on a family forum. If I can't say the adult word for poop, you shouldn't be saying that word either IMO.

Was it used in the proper dictionary context?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bitching

Why yes, it in fact was.. To call someone by that without the ing at the end would be an insult as the meaning is refering specifically to a female dog. However if I said I have a purebred beagle stud & I have been trying to find him a bitch then that is again using the proper word.

And this was actually in responce to policing someone saying "BS"
bastage is offline  
Old 11-15-2011, 12:04 PM   #10 
mjoy79
Member
 
mjoy79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastage View Post
Was it used in the proper dictionary context?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bitching

Why yes, it in fact was.. To call someone by that without the ing at the end would be an insult as the meaning is refering specifically to a female dog. However if I said I have a purebred beagle stud & I have been trying to find him a bitch then that is again using the proper word.

And this was actually in responce to policing someone saying "BS"
If there is a better word for it, why not use the better word? In this case "whining" or "complaining".
As far as the BS thing - it is short for something that most people knows what that is and it was used in a rude manner. It could have been left out and he would have still gotten his point across.
mjoy79 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rant/Anti Rant place. BettaGirl290 The Lounge 9 10-09-2010 09:34 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.