Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

To those of you who have problems with the rules of this forum, I suggest you discuss this with Admin instead of complaining about it on the open forum.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #12 
Pitluvs

Pretty coincidental considering I made a comment on your topic about the language, and then complained about it on the Rant forum, then you post this. It's kinda like me making a topic about people keeping females in tanks too small and not in proper numbers just after posting on your topic, and then saying there was no link? (Not that I would, just an example!) I'm sorry if I am taking this all the wrong way.

I believe I asked that person who said "BS" not to as well.

And honestly, I have no problem reminding someone of the forum rules. If they can't be mature enough to follow them, I don't mind showing other younger/newer members that there are mature people here who do.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #13 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
To those of you who have problems with the rules of this forum, I suggest you discuss this with Admin instead of complaining about it on the open forum.
You know you wanted to say the other word DQ!! haha jk
Old 11-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #14 
bastage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Pretty coincidental considering I made a comment on your topic about the language, and then complained about it on the Rant forum, then you post this. It's kinda like me making a topic about people keeping females in tanks too small and not in proper numbers just after posting on your topic, and then saying there was no link? (Not that I would, just an example!) I'm sorry if I am taking this all the wrong way.

I believe I asked that person who said "BS" not to as well.

And honestly, I have no problem reminding someone of the forum rules. If they can't be mature enough to follow them, I don't mind showing other younger/newer members that there are mature people here who do.
Well you could look at the time stamp to see the difference.. I am used to the oversensative policing what I have to say as I just ignore it..

What I also find humerous is that there is a geographical differance in tbe meaning of the words.. We will take my post about getting a larger tank for example.. You took obvious offence to the word bitching, but you diddnt mention the term "bugger off".. Which depending on the part of the world means basically the same as sticking your middle finger up at someone. So since this site is open to international members maybe anything that could be offensive to anyone around the globe should not be said.. For example I could name a fish Ronon (which I did) which is a charictor of a SciFi series & thus anti creation so it may offend someone that I would do this. So should this not be said. Roman gods are a good example as well. Say a member is from a polytheistic religion (such as christianity), then mentioning the name of a monotheistic god could be offensive.. Should we stop saying the name of our fish too?

Point is.. Nobody is dropping the F bomb, or the N word or even the see you next tuesday term.. Anyone who allows there child to get on the internet should expect that there is going to be some language, & if they dont want there kid to see language is that is commonly accepted internationally in the english language then they can install a net nanny aplication.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #15 
Pitluvs

Actually, there was another word I was going to quote but I couldn't be bothered to go searching for the post lol If "bugger off" is offensive in other cultures or countries, are you admitting to cursing then?

I don't know what to tell you. Just continue on, or talk to a Moderator about it. I really don't know what else to say, as everything I say will just agitate you more. *shrugs*
Old 11-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #16 
vaygirl

Use the report. It's so much easier. We just pop in and edit and all this can be avoided. Anyone who has issues with the rules can pm administrator or find a bettafish site that doesn't have the same rules.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:13 PM   #17 
doggyhog

I just have to jump in here and ask, why are we arguing about this?

The thing is that this forum is a family friendly forum. If you cannot get along with the rules here, there are plenty of other fish forums out there that don't have rules against it. IMO things get out of control so much easier when people are allowed to use profanity. I am not personally offended by profanity, but a lot of people are. I think it degrades the quality of a forum if everyone is cussing and posting inappropriate things.

I was very young when I joined this forum and I would not have wanted to join if I saw everyone cursing because my Mom would not have approved of it at all. We do have some very young members here and I think it is important to maintain good morals and be respectful to the young kids and their parents.

Please remember that if this thread turns into a huge argument it will be closed.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #18 
bastage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
Use the report. It's so much easier. We just pop in and edit and all this can be avoided. Anyone who has issues with the rules can pm administrator or find a bettafish site that doesn't have the same rules.
This was exactly my point. Admin has the power to block anything they find inappropriate. So if there is a problem with a word, phrase or term being used then let the Admin/Moderators prevent/correct the action.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:13 PM   #19 
SnowySurface

It is so cultural that I don't even bother. WHen I was in Japan, 1st graders could use full out curse words without having a bar of soap shoved in their mouth. And by full out curse words, I mean the F-word, S-word, ect. Then I come back to America and I can't say crap without thinking twice about it. Some people are really sensitive about language while others don't care. It all depends on the country, culture, family, person, ect.

At 26 years old the last thing I feel like doing is baby proofing my language. If my fish gets eaten by the filter again (bit of a story ^_^;) I would be a bit defensive if someone cited the language in my thread titled, "That darn filter ate Luigi again!!!!!! DX". I can assure you the filter did not get it's feelings hurt during the making of that rant thread title (that doesn't actually exist mods, honest ^_^). I also would prefer advice on how to defeat the fish eating filter. Grammar corrections would not explain why my filter craves the scales of my fish for dinner.

At 26 years old, I also get that not baby proofing my languages does nothing but upset the people I want to help and turns the people I want help from away from me. The thread title, "Why won't my filter stop eating Luigi? T_T" would get more posters to explain filter baffles to me and may even lead to some people linking the stick about making my own filter baffle. The thread that doesn't have darn in the title gets me help instead of lectures.

So, I don't curse in real life or on this forum because proper English gets my point across without hurting feelings or making me look like a crazy, hate filled person. Besides, it's a fish forum. What reason would you have for cursing? A filter could eat my fish alive and I would still only use the word darn to express my anger and sorrow. XD
Old 11-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sure, you can curse and think, oh, it's no big deal, a mod will come along and edit it. But if everyone did that we'd be doing nothing but cleaning up everyone's language, as if mods don't have a life off of the forum or anything else to do.
Closed Thread