Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #21 
bastage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Sure, you can curse and think, oh, it's no big deal, a mod will come along and edit it. But if everyone did that we'd be doing nothing but cleaning up everyone's language, as if mods don't have a life off of the forum or anything else to do.
You dont have to edit it.. You have the technology to keep curse words from even being posted..

I have moderated, Admin'd & Owned several forums in the past on both vbulliten & phpbb & language filters are built in. Also can do kinda neat stuff.. Like someone types the words "F**k Y**" then when they save there post it says "I Love You" instead.. or you can simply have the words starred out or not allow the post to be posted at all.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #22 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can always pm Admin about that. I don't have anything to do with that kind of stuff since I'm not an Admin.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #23 
bastage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
You can always pm Admin about that. I don't have anything to do with that kind of stuff since I'm not an Admin.
I Understand & I am not saying it needs to be implimented. Only saying that if there becomes an issue where the mod's are having to adress this often it can be corrected system end to stop the issue..

Unless it becomes a problem though it would just be wasted work.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #24 
laughing

This whole thing is silly...

Here's what I think;

Some one curses. Your first option, the right option, is to click that little exclamation point and report the post. Instantly it goes out to the mods/admin and they can sneak right in and clean up the language. It is over with it, there's no argument, the thread can go on peacefully, and yet there is no longer any inappropriate language.

Some one curses. Your second option, the wrong option, is you decide to take moderation into your own hands when you have zip power, and decide you'll post a lovely little comment preaching this as a family site and that their language is highly offensive and they need to cut it out right this instant. (Or whatever you feel inclined to say.) Guess what? Curse word(s) are still there and now the whole thread is disrupted. Suddenly an argument arises and now two or more members have a large disagreement and we have bad riddance amongst them. What does that solve in any way? Now the child (if we're directing this thread towards "family friendly") sees the curse word(s) as well as the disagreement and they're receiving that bad influence.

It's simple... Just click, and you're done. It's not anyone else's job! So please, no more arguing. Let's all get along and let the mods be the "bad guys"!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #25 
TheCrysCat

I don't care what offends anyone; the rules say not to curse, and that needs to be respected. Like doggyhog said, there are a ton of forums that don't care what language is used. Go there if you feel the need to swear. This entire thing would be better if it was taken to PM with a mod or admin (and phrased a little more politely, if you don't mind me saying).
Old 11-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #26 
vaygirl

A big YES to what Laughing said. While its fairly simple to come in and take a few seconds to edit out a word, taking out multiple posts that are addressing that one word is more time consuming!
Old 11-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #27 
cajunamy
Banned

For me the bottom line is this is a family friendly forum. I have seen members as young as 10-11 and imagine there may even be 9 year olds. For me this means no abbreviations, any foul talk of any kind, no b****ing or anything like that with stars or whatever.

I have a mouth like a sailor so maybe I slipped once somewhere here, but I try to police myself about it.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:07 PM   #28 
laughing

I think I remember someone here who was 8? But I don't think they were super active. The 10-12 year olds are ramped for sure, though.

That's all I'm saying... Police yourself and only you, and if you feel what someone has said is inappropriate, just click the little button... We have to look after one another, after all. Not argue all the time!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:28 PM   #29 
dramaqueen
Banned

+1 Laughing.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #30 
Bombalurina

I wish swearing in general (not on forums, I mean out in the real world) didn't have to happen. It's not so much that I find the words offensive - a well aimed comment, absolutely clean of profanity, can be so much more hurtful - but they are just plain ugly words. All those consanants bunched up together in nasty combinations. The trouble is, even for someone like me, who never swears, I'm so exposed to it all of the time that I hear those words in my head and I nearly say them. I wish it wasn't such a norm these days. I even heard one of the girls in the childcare centre, who was 12 at the time, say that swearing was cool. It saddened me a lot.
Closed Thread