Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #1 
Jodah

Betta not doing so hot

Setup a new 2.5g mini bow yesterday. used 5lbs black gravel, a single fake plant to hide the filter and heater. He was hanging out at the bottom for quite some time, when I went to sleep last night, he was perched in the fake plant towards the surface. wake up this morning and swear I saw him stuck on the bottom of the filter (whisper bio mini btw) and the water was cloudy with him swimming vertical. Well, not really swimming as much as just floating. So, immediately took the filter out, gonna put a screen on it to keep him from getting stuck to it, as well as leaving it out so he can relax. Also did a 90% water change, basically siphoned out as much as I could without removing the gravel.

I acclimated him properly, used nutrafin betta + conditioner.

After the water change, he's no longer vertical, but just hanging out at the bottom resting on the gravel.

Did i royally screw something up and hurt the little guy? I know it's only a $4 fish, so it's not terribly expensive to replace him. Don't take it the wrong way. I'm certainly not wanting to replace him especially if I'm doing soemthing wrong.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum......sorry your Betta isn't well....

How did you acclimate him, how much of the dechlorinater did you use and any other additives used, what is the water temp, is he eating yet or have you tried-not uncommon for them not to eat right away in a new environment....can you post a pic...

Good that you made a water change and removed the filter-I would leave the filter out for now-did you remove him for that water change and if so, how did you re-acclimate to the water and how did you dose the dechlorinator..

I am sure you did this-but will ask anyway....did you rinse the gravel really good and everything else that went in the tank....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 11-15-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #3 
Jodah

I acclimated him by getting him out of the nastya ss cup, but pouring him and the water into a bag, floated the bag while addeing tnak water every 10 minutes or so, for a half hour. Then netted him and placed him in. Same after the large water change.

I use nutrafin betta + conditioner, following the label it says approx 5ml per 1/2 gallon, so i used 25ml.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #4 
Jodah

Apparently I can't edit my posts. bummer. But as far as the gravel, i rinsed it for a good 20 minutes, it was clear after 5, which i thought odd, hence the extra time rinsing. I do recall seeing small "glitter" particles floating right after i filled the tank the first time. Also looked closer at the gravel it had these same "glittle" specs on them. Kinda thinking maybe I should have used different gravel.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #5 
Jodah

Must be a time limit as to how long you have before not being able to edit your post. BUT... just got home, little buddy is swimming around and doing just fine. So, no filter, the cooling fan for the lights (diy led setup, just stuff I had on hand) moves the top of the water a tiny amount. Good enough for me!

Also, he seems to be very picky, and doesn't seem to like the pellets, although he did nip at some this morning. but i dropped in 3, and he hasn't even touched them. So, I'll give it another day, but I'll most likely end up getting flake food for him. See if he likes that better. Granted, the betta's I've had in the past never liked them, but who knows.

Last edited by Jodah; 11-15-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #6 
valleyankee

Did you check the water temperature?
valleyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #7 
Hisaki Yuki001

Just a guess, but it might be the gravel. I once brought home some aquarium gravel when I set up a tank for my female fry. The next day the water was all cloudy. I had to take down and rinse everything. The water eventually became clear, but always had what looked like glittery things in it. My Betta then started to float at the top of the surface and darted around every now and then.

I found out it was the gravel after almost pulling my hair out to find out what was causing her to act sick. I got to the point that I decided to take out everything, rinse the tank and slowly re-introduce everything including filer after a couple of days. When I went to rinse the gravel while doing this, it seemed it was covered in a white slime that wouldn't stop coming off. After I set up the tank without gravel, she started acting normal and I haven't had a problem since. It was weird. I don't remember the brand of gravel that I had tried to use though.

Last edited by Hisaki Yuki001; 11-15-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Hisaki Yuki001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #8 
Jodah

water temp stays at a constant 78*

Water is a weee bit cloudy, but the g/f forgot to pull a food pellet out before heading to work. <facepalms> told her she had to pull them out within 5 minutes of him not touching them or before they started to sink. Well, she certainly knows that now. Also, no more "glitter" in the tank. I guess next time when I think the water is running clear, rinse it 10 more times after. lol.

But for now, I think we're in the clear. Sorta debating whether or not to put the filter back in. Seeing as its a 2.5g though, i think the flow from it,even if I baffle it, will just drive the little guy nuts. guess that means I can use it on my 5.5 that I have the urge to setup (was supposed to be a SW pico for my desk seeing as I can't setup my 20H for SW yet)
Old 11-16-2011, 04:13 AM   #9 
valleyankee

I never understand why these small tanks have filters. Bettas have trouble swimming in water that is moving.
valleyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #10 
Jodah

Because they're not meant specifically for bettas. I only tried it cuz I had it. Figured hey, if it helps why not.