Betta Fish Forum banner

Mystery to me

481 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  tinag 
#1 ·
My daughters betta has been acting the same way for the past four months. He lays at the top of tank in a corner on his side. When he tries to swim it looks like he is struggling. He is not bloated and only moves when I go to feed him.

Any ideas about what could possibly be the problem?

#3 ·
Tank size: 2 1/2 gallon
Water temp: 78
Water change: 50% every 2 days
Filter: Yes
Water Mates: No
Heater: Yes
Eats: 2-3 pellets twice a day

When he does swim he seems to struggle...kind of looks like he is flopping around when he first starts to swim. If he isn't swimming, then he is on his side. He stays at the top of the tank at all times in the same corner unless it is feeding time. He does not swim to the bottom of the tank at all anymore.

Treated for fungus when this behavior first started 4 months ago per the pet store, but no change.

#6 ·
It's easier to have him in a smaller container since you'll be doing 100% water changes daily.

Definitely use dechlorinator for any time you put in new water.

For treatment, you go a full 10 days if it's a swim bladder issue since that is usually long enough for everything to be resolved (Maximum safe usage time is 14 days). Even if he looks to be fine after the first day, he may relapse if you take him off treatment too quickly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.