Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2011, 12:22 PM   #1 
pattihi

Can the pine cone effect

be caused by anything other than dropsy?
pattihi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

Dropsy is a word for the pine cone effect, it's not an actual disease or anything. Usually something wrong with the fish causes it to pine cone, like an internal parasite or such. So really if you're fish is pine coning, there's probably something very very wrong with it :(

It's like saying you have a runny nose. Runny nose isn't a virus, but the cold causing the runny nose is.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

Pine coning is from a fluid buildup underneath the skin. This is usually caused by the kidneys not functioning correctly or when they are no longer functioning since they control the amount of fluid the body keeps.

If the pine coning is mild and only in the stomach region, it might be due to being extremely bloated, which could be due to overfeeding, constipation, parasites, or a tumor.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pataflafla View Post
Pine coning is from a fluid buildup underneath the skin. This is usually caused by the kidneys not functioning correctly or when they are no longer functioning since they control the amount of fluid the body keeps.

If the pine coning is mild and only in the stomach region, it might be due to being extremely bloated, which could be due to overfeeding, constipation, parasites, or a tumor.
Ya, that!! She says it better lol
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #5 
pattihi

I see. Thanks for educating me on this. I'm following all the directions in the diseases and emergencies section for dropsy. I know he may not make it, but the writer, Darkmoon, indicates that it can be cured. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge that the scales can go back in place?

I feel terrible. I think this must have started when I went out of town and had my neighbor feed it for me and came home to find stuff floating all over the tank.
pattihi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:13 PM   #6 
Pataflafla

I'm currently going through my 5th case of dropsy, but I don't find that she'll make it through since all the others didn't make it. Hopefully the addition of maracyn 2 will be enough. My odds for survival with this have been 100% death (With the exclusion of the current case because it happened overnight and she just started treatment this morning).
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote