Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #1 
Ajones108

10g Tank Frustrations - Filters and Dividers

Okay. So I started off with two bettas divided in a 10g filtered, planted, heated, cycled. Well one of them kept flaring CONSTANTLY at the other betta, so I moved him to an unfiltered, heated 5g by himself and moved my huge DDeT into a 10g unfiltered, heated tank by himself, totaling 3 betta tanks.

I realized with these two unfiltered tanks that for some reason, a film forms on the water VERY quickly. I tried filtering the 10g with my large red boy but his fins are so huge and I have nothing to break the flow of the water (all of my baffle sponges got gross and I can't afford more at the moment).

As a college student I've always had a large benefit with filtered, cycled tanks. But now that I don't have usable baffles my bettas are stressed. I was thinking about possibly dividing the 10g and putting both boys in there, and then the filter would only be on one side, so my red boy wouldn't feel much of the flow.

I'm frustrated with the upkeep and am wondering what some of you are doing for baffles other than sponges. I haven't had much luck with water bottle baffles, they're too complicated for me to make.

I'm downsizing as soon as possible. >.>

ALSO! Homemade divider ideas! All of my lovelies are going into a 30g tank when I'm away in Utah so mom will only have to take care of one tank. I have to make a total of 3 dividers, preferably not very see-through. I thought about just buying 3 of them but it'll cost me like $15 a divider. @_@
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #2 
Ogre44

I baffled my filter using a green scrubby pad from the grocery store, was less than $2.
The green color is part of the plastic, so it won't leech out.
The pads are nice and big so you can cut several appropriately sized pieces and layer them together to reduce flow as needed.
Ogre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #3 
Ajones108

Oooooh. :o How do you keep it held on the filter?
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:19 PM   #4 
Ogre44

Swiped one of my wife's hair-bands, covered in nylon with a grippy inside.
I pre-stretched it a bit and fit it around the entire filter housing with the green pads held against the water outlet.
Ogre44 is offline   Reply With Quote