Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #1 
Sassington

One word... appalling..

I went to my LFS to see if I could find any hidey things for my boy and this is what I find...

This is the same store that I got my betta from a few weeks ago... Most if not all of the fish there had been sitting in water that was far from clean - but brown water? Really?? ... I turned around and walked right out!! Ugh!!
Attached Images

Sassington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:02 PM   #2 
BeautifulBetta

WOW that is beyond awful!!! It would take like 30 seconds to change that water, people are so stupid... :(
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #3 
Sassington

I know! When I said something to the young guy working there, he said "oh yeah, I just haven't had a chance to get to the bettas.. we're still in the process of setting up here." He was referring to how they just opened and he was trying to get all the aquariums ready for their grand opening this weekend. Sad.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:11 PM   #4 
Indyfishy

Ewww. Those poor babies =( That's not a very good excuse, especially since there's only five cups. It would take him less than 10 minutes to change those.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #5 
erinandares

That is sad. ): I'm always sad seeing something like this.

Let me just ask... Not trying to start an argument- I'm on your side, I swear! I just want to know why it is so many people feel the need to specify that it was a teenager or other young person who they got bad advice from in an LPS or chain, overheard saying something insensitive, or saw performing some other undesirable action or displaying an undesirable attitude toward fish/animals. (But that guy has no excuse, that's just pitiful and if his work ethic is such that he can't take ten minutes to clean betta water, he shouldn't work there)

I'm eighteen and I've never in my life been insensitive toward animals. I feel like it's lumping me and the other teen and young adult members here into a nasty category where older people think that because we're young we must not be good pet owners or good employees or something... I don't know.

Please tell me if I'm overreacting. I'm just curious why it is no one ever says it was a middle aged guy who must have a 401k. They just say guy or man. But if it's a teenager or young person, they jump all over it. :/
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #6 
BeautifulBetta

There's awesome young people like us who can take amazing care of our own pets, AND others pets. But there's also alot of ignorant young people who don't care, its just a job, and they're getting money for standing there and doing nothing. It's pretty sad. I don't know if I could ever be that neglecting towards an animal or other people's property.

Another example (not fishies lol), the last three summers I was cleaning yachts for a local charter company, and we hired alot of young people 16-18years old, but they honestly couldnt give a crap about the boats and what cleaners they used on them. I had to yell at them alot because I cared about these yachts that ranged in price from $200,000 to $750,000..(honestly, these boats became like my family lol, sad i know)

So many young people now are just making the rest of us look bad, and it sucks...It all has to do with stereotypes I guess and people assume that young people are just all ignorant lil' poops..Not saying this guy ISN'T a doofus who doesn't deserve to work in a pet store though...This guy has no excuse for his betta neglect. I'm gunna smack someone! o.O
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #7 
erinandares

Yeah, you're probably right. And if the yacht is upwards of $200,000 they sure better care about what cleaners they're using!! It's just frustrating about the negative stereotypes. :/

But anyway, to the OP, I'm terribly sorry I hijacked your thread!!! D: Sorreeee!!!! That is terrible.
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #8 
mjoy79

Why open a pet store if you don't care about animals? this makes me so sad :(
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #9 
Sassington

Oh, it's cool Erin... I didn't mean to imply that all young people are stupid and uncaring towards animals.. it's a horrible stereotype that people put on the younger crowd. I'm not in the same age bracket as the guy at the LFS but I do see the wrongess of it. At the time of my post, I only referred to him as "the young guy" because he happened to be the only one in the store at the time of my visit. It wouldn't have mattered to me if he was young or old; the condition the fish were in is ultimately a reflection on the business and the owner/manager, who if I had to guess, wasn't there a lot.
The guy that was there today was also the same person who was there the first time I was in and bought my fish (today was my second visit) - he told me bettas were as simple to take care of as just "plopping them in some water and go". Obviously, this particular "young man" was misinformed. :) It's probably not his fault that he doesn't know a lot about fish in general, but the owners should probably employ someone who knows SOMETHING about the fish that are there. At very minimum, how to keep the current stock of fish in healthier looking cups. Fortunately, the only other fish there were goldfish (a lot of dead ones in the tank) and some koi fish..
I just hope they get their stuff together before their "grand opening" in a few days.. they won't be very successful at the rate they're going.
Thanks for bringing the subject up, though.. I'll make sure I'm more mindful in my future posts because there are some young people out there who know what they're doing and do care! :D Just not at this LFS lol!! :)
Old 11-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

Sadly, it's a stereotype that is frequently justified. I'm 20, and I'm appalled frequently appalled by the lack of care and interest shown by my staff in their jobs. We are getting paid to work, yet they act like they are doing my boss a favour by showing up. The work ethic they have truly saddens me, and I dread to think the shape that place will be in after I leave. My sister is the only other one who works hard (makes me very proud!).

Then again, laziness towards animas is sadly prevalent at all ages. I got my first guppy after someone dropped her in a cold litre jar with a male CT, who was taking great chomps out of her poor little tail. I told a middle-aged staff member, and she did nothing until I demanded that she fish her out and let me buy her.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote