Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #11 
erinandares

I kinda went on a mini-rant there, didn't I? Lol. My local LPS is pretty bad with employing young people who don't know what they're talking about, too. :/ I think the reason they get hired in the first place is because people can trust a nice looking kid in their early twenties or late teens and they'll believe them when they tell them what to buy. There are a rash of kids who look like they just stepped out of high school working at my local Feeder's Supply. It's like they have a policy not to hire anyone over twenty-five.

In the eyes of a business, it's sales and the bottom line they care about, not necessarily taking care of each and every animal they sell individually, though... So.... yeah. It's a shame. But their parking lot is always packed. I guess there are a percentage of the animals that actually make it to good homes, but still...
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #12 
Bombalurina

Here the policy seems to be not to hire anyone over 18...cos then you have to pay them more. Le sigh. I know I could do a much better job than so many of the teenage girls in the local chain stores who have been hired for their age rather than their knowledge or experience.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:49 PM   #13 
ArcticRain

Wow...just wow. I went to Wal-Mart once and the water was even worse than that! I assume it was just after feeding time as there was pellets all over the lids and all in cups, I couldn't even see the fish! They must have poured in the whole package of pellets for the water to be that brown. When I saw the condition of the bettas I couldn’t help myself from saying out loud "That is disgusting! How could anyone in their right mind do this to these poor animals?!?!” Many shoppers heard me and the best part was that even an employee who was sweeping up the extra pellets on the floor heard me! He looked at me like he was thinking "What you sayin' fool?” I looked back and I was like "Ohh yeahh, I'm so gangsta!"...haha!
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:12 PM   #14 
Luimeril

i went to a walmart behind my local Petco once... they still had fish, and had tons of bettas. the cups by the sink weren't bad... but the ones by the tanks were horrid! one, was yellow. like.... someone... ya know'd in it. poor guy was so long dead... it was just horrifying. if i'd had my camera with me, i'd have taken pictures to show, but... UGH.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #15 
Larsa

scary and sad..... :'(
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #16 
Sena Hansler

I got my females from the pet store, only because I could not stand the fact of their bowls being filthy. All the males were clean, and cared for somewhat. The females? Nah, "who cares about the ugly plain non-colored short finned females"... right? >< Their bowls were lined with black algae, green algae, brown decaying matter (I don't want to know...) and the water was yellowed. All it took for them when I got them was to be in clean water and they sprouted in size and activity over night o_O Just shows... proper care = for the win.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #17 
Sassington

True! I would have loved to take them off the store's hands but I am not equipped to house another or buy a bigger tank :( someday maybe :o)
Sassington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

haha I got 13 bettas... >< And downsizing since I am moving soon to where I have to pay for heat, water, electricity, etc. :p
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #19 
Sassington

13!? Yeesh!! Lol... I stress out over my one betta ... if I had 13, I'd lose tons of sleep over all those fish. :) I'm a worry-wart to the core lololol :D
Sassington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:33 PM   #20 
mjoy79

I have 13 too. LOL
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote