Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2011, 08:08 PM   #1 
inkrealm

Max Safe Amount of API AQ Salt for 2.5 Gallons?

I had it on my laptop but the fan broke and I can no longer access it... someone told me 1 teaspoon per gallon... I just wanted to make sure though ^-^; regular amounts are welcome too, but I wanted to get the max for reference... thankyou, <3

edit: that's FRESH WATER ofcourse.

Last edited by inkrealm; 11-14-2011 at 08:14 PM.
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:08 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

What's your purpose for using the salt?
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:12 PM   #3 
Rosso1011

Inkrealm, mathematically, 1 teaspoon is correct. Look up tablespoon to teaspoon conversions. I think it was 1 tablespoon of salt per 10 gallon tank.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #4 
Myates

Unless you are treating something specific, it's wise to not use AQ salt regularly- as it will lead to liver and kidney failure, resistance from the fish and bacteria to the beneficial properties of the salt when it is needed for healing. And there is a maximum amount of time they can be in the salt in a period.

Otherwise- they tolerate 1-3 teaspoons per gallon, with daily 100% water changes.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #5 
inkrealm

nono >.<;
it's for fin rot. I tried daily water changes and API Stress Coat first but they weren't helping. with Winter coming I can't afford to leave him in his hospital tank, so I'm getting ready to give up and just move him back over. but I was hoping to get rid of the worst of the rip first so he doesn't get it torn up in the current. It's baffled and I fill the water up to the top as much as I can but it still gets some and he likes to swim in it when he shouldn't. <T^T> the fin rot is gone but the rip is still there, so I was hoping a mild dosage would help promote healing a bit since the stress coat + fresh water wasn't doing the trick. I wanted to get the max dose for reference though. so that if I ever do need to increase the dosage I'll know when to stop. I don't plan to for this case ofcourse.

thankyou for the help guys, I really appreciate it. ^-^

Myates- do you know the suggested time period? ^-^ I'm only planning to do this for a couple days... but it's still always good to know... and do you mean x amount of time in a day, or an x amount of days?
I think I was told a week, but I'm sure it's probably less the stronger the dose.. I was never given an exact amount of hours, but I can see where the guy might want a break since they;re not salt water fish...

Last edited by inkrealm; 11-15-2011 at 10:35 AM.
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:12 AM   #6 
Migraine

For some reason AQ salt caused my fish to have a worse condition than before. His flesh is showing at the tail area :/ I will try for a few more days or just freeze him to end his torture. I feel so guilty.
Migraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:34 AM   #7 
bahamut285

It is 1-3 tsp per gallon, so the conversion will be:

1tsp/gal = 2.5 teaspoons for 2.5 gallons

2tsp/gal = 5 teaspoons for 2.5 gallons

3tsp/gal = 7.5 teaspoons for 2.5 gallons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migraine View Post
For some reason AQ salt caused my fish to have a worse condition than before. His flesh is showing at the tail area :/ I will try for a few more days or just freeze him to end his torture. I feel so guilty.
Please do not freeze your fish, it's very traumatic for them. If you do not wish to continue treating him, then please put him to sleep using some clove oil and vodka. This is much more humane than shoving him live into a freezer.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote