Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #1 
erinandares

Hepp Banana Fish!!

I need some hepp...

So I have this fish named Banana Fish. He's an adorable little yellow veiltail with blue marbling near his caudal fin and black coloring on his face. I bought him because I had the space for him and he had pretty bad SBD in the store.

So I QTed him with Epsom salt for a while- I believe it was eight days. It was two days after I had seen a vast improvement in him that I weaned him off. But then, a few days later, he was being listless and floating again. I didn't know what to do, so I QTed him in the cup again with a lower does of ES because I didn't want to overload his system- I used 3 tsp/gal last time, this time it's been approximately 2.

Today is the worst I've seen him. He's still in his QT cup. This time it's been approximately a week. He hasn't really gotten any better. I've upped the dosage of ES to try and help him. But I'm not sure what can be done. He's resting on top of a silk leaf I put in his cup on his side right now. His gills still move, but he isn't moving other than that.

Does anyone know what I can do? Banana Fish is awesome, and I would hate to lose him to something like SBD... By this time, I'm assuming it's going to be chronic SBD, which I can deal with. The issue is getting him back to health again.
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #2 
youlovegnats

You sure it's SBD? They shouldn't be listless if that's what they have. SBD only affects the swim bladder that hepps (lol, helps) with buoyancy.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #3 
kathstew

I'm sorry, I can't give much advice, but I hope someone is able to hepp you! :)
Good luck!
kathstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #4 
erinandares

Well, he didn't have it initially (the listlessness, I mean.) He only got that way after he started getting worse. And maybe I used the wrong word. He still ate, although I was careful not to overfeed him since I knew he wasn't doing well. He just looked like he was kind of tired. When he caught you looking at him, he would flail about and right himself and swim around a little bit. But his efforts to be stoic exhausted him, I think. ):

Are there any other ideas as to what it may be? I can't tell much about tank parameters, since he's spent the majority of the time with me in his cup... Poor guy. He gets daily water changes with careful acclimation. I put a rock and a few silk leaves in his cup, too, so he would maybe feel more comfortable... I've been keeping him on top of the hood of my big tank for warmth.

When I try to feed him, he can only sometimes keep it down. When his behavior started getting more tired, I thought maybe it could internal parasites or something causing him to bloat and giving him bouyancy issues, but after he finally pooped, it looked normal. :/ I'm puzzled.

Oh, and thanks, Kathstew. I saw your siggy banner and I thought of my aunt. She has lupus, as well. It's been several years since she was diagnosed- not sure how many. Maybe this is weird to say, but I think you have a great attitude. People like you kind of inspire me since I have my own health issues, as well. (But not lupus...)

Last edited by erinandares; 11-15-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #5 
youlovegnats

<3 What a nice post~

So he has been in the cup since you got him? Like, living in the cup??
I have no idea what it might be since you change the water daily ;__;
You might want to PM Darkmoon.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

With SBD, it is 1 tsp of EPSOM per gallon. In a cup, it is very hard to moderate the amount. I recommend, even using a salad bowl, or tupperware bowl, or bin of some sort that has never had chemicals in it, to use. Keeping the water warm is definitely a must... so wherever is warmest in your house, and if you can get a mini-heater (usually works for 2 gallons and up).

dissolved epsom before adding right? Never add it whole. dissolve it, add it. every twelve hours up the dose until you come to 3 tsp per gallon (1 tsp per 12 hours is best). When they seem better, continue the treatment from anywhere between 3-5 days to ensure it is gone. Wouldn't wean him off it - use full dose until the last day.

It is a 100% water change per day to ensure it will heal him. But, always use dechlorinator/tap water conditioner. If you can find stress coat, use that too.

Best I can help.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #7 
erinandares

He was supposed to go in my ten gallon with Hermes... But when he seemed to be doing well in the cup after the first round, I tried him out in a one gallon I had left over that Hermes used to live in, but then he got so much worse again and I put him back in the cup... And yeah, Sena, it's been dissolved and everything... With water conditioner. I already use Stress Coat as my water conditioner. Thanks about the weaning off thing. O.O I wouldn't have known.

Anyway, I guess I'll send Darkmoon a PM. This is becoming frustrating.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #8 
youlovegnats

:( I'm sorry Erin. :<

I hope he gets better! You might want to put him in the 1g. instead of the cup so he has some swimming room.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #9 
erinandares

I'll probably do that tonight. I had just heard the cups were easy for QT containers. Forgive me, Banana Fish for my ignorance!!!

... He says maybe.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #10 
youlovegnats

Hahaha, You;ve done your best with what knowledge you have ^^