Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #11 
erinandares

Thanks. I just PMed DarkMoon, hopefully she can come by and offer advice. And all the delay was Banana Fish getting put into the one gallon. Le sigh. His butt curls up above him when he tries to swim too fast. >.>
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #12 
DarkMoon17

Hi there erinandares. Does he appear thin or gaunt? Or does he look bloated? Do his eyes look at all swollen? When he does swim, can he do so or does he look like he can't go down? What is the temperature he is currently at?

For now, 3tsp/gal Epsom Salt, 100% daily water changes, raise temp to 82*F if possible. It would be best to keep him in the 1 gal, you can fill it just half way so he feels more comfortable.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #13 
erinandares

Hello, DarkMoon. Hmm. Let me answer those (relatively) in order...

His body is very thin, except he has a large swollen spot near his tail end, which I was aware was where his swim bladder is. His eyes look alright. He swims mostly at the surface, and his rear will wiggle occasionally when he tries to get it to straighten out. When he swims around in the rest of the water, his rear floats up above him and he fights to keep it level. Like I mentioned above so eloquently. ^^^ His water temp is currently... 77.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #14 
DarkMoon17

The swollen area in front of the tail is the "Caudal Peduncle" and it can be quite noticeable in some fish. I am concerned about how thin he is. What do his feces look like? Are they clear/white or are they the color of his food? It sounds like he is not bloated so that is not the cause of his Swim Bladder issues.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #15 
erinandares

Okay, okay. Thank you for that reassurance. His poop looked normal last time he pooped. He hasn't been pooping lately, though, because whenever he eats, he just spits it back up and doesn't go for it again. I thought at first maybe he didn't like the food, but he ate it fine when he seemed to recover, he just doesn't eat when he doesn't feel well...
Old 11-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #16 
erinandares

Okay, so good news and weird news. Banana Fish can swim again, but it looks like his slime coat is coming off. There are some slimy things sitting in hsi water, now, a few hours after I changed it out with the ES treatment recommended. Is this a bad thing, or is it normal? If it's bad, could I maybe add an extra drop or two of conditioner next time I change his water out to help it grow back?
Old 11-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #17 
DarkMoon17

That's good to hear. Is his swimming completely normal now? I may have just been constipated. I wouldn't be too worried about the slime coat but you can add the stronger dose of StressCoat with the next water change to make sure he grows back a nice healthy one. Keep him in Epsom for at least 10 days, then you can take him off of it if he doesn't relapse. Definitely keep us posted.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #18 
erinandares

Yeah, he's swimming fine now. I'm guessing I just didn't continue the last dose long enough and it relapsed. I'll definitely do the full ten days now. Thank you for all the advice, DarkMoon. :3 I'll let you know how it goes with him.