Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2011, 06:16 AM   #1 
Belated

Somewhat concerned? Grey/white lips?

Hi. Until now, I've thought my new boy has been perfectly healthy, but a friend pointed this out to me, and now I'm a bit worried. He is a dark green/black/red betta, but has white ventral fin tips and white/grey lines around his mouth. I was told at the store where I bought him that the tips of his fins were just a colouration/marking, but I never thought off-coloured lips were an issue, so I didn't even pay them any attention... but now I'm worried about Columnaris or cottonmouth. :[

So, is this normal? He's still extremely active and has a great appetite, so I guess if it is anything dangerous, I've at least caught it early? He's been like this for the entire five or so days that I've had him, and it hasn't changed at all.

Sorry for the pic, it's incredibly hard to get a good shot of his mouth when he's so active. It's a small, pale line that goes around the very edge of his mouth - in photos, it almost seems green like his scales, but it doesn't seem that way to the naked eye?

Belated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:37 AM   #2 
Myates

Love your guy, he's real pretty..

The employee was correct about the ventral fins- I have dark boys with white tips on those fins as well.

As far as cotton mouth/columnaris, there would be other signs to it. It looks to me that it is his natural coloration- under the light in the picture they are the same color green that he has in other places.
For cotton mouth/columnaris you will want to look for fuzzy white lips- such as tufts of cotton all around his lips, along with other places on his body. There will be patches of it in different spots.

So with the coloration of his lips in the picture, and if you don't see the white cotton puffs, and especially if others haven't formed in the 5 days that you have had him.. then I would say he is clear of cotton mouth/columnaris and rather he is just.. flamboyant :D
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:41 AM   #3 
Belated

Ah, thank you, good to know! :) I've been looking up pictures of cottonmouth, and I definitely agree with you now that I know what it looks like.
Belated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #4 
Myates

Welcome :) glad to be able to help out on these situations! I love it when the fish isn't actually sick- good for them and the owner!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #5 
mjoy79

He's just gorgeous! And looks healthy!
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote