Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #1 
chicagojo

faulty water conditioner - seeking more info

I just read about this in an old thread that had gotten bumped up somehow but figured better to start a new thread vs. continue on in that one...someone posted that they had a faulty bottle of NutraFin Betta Plus water conditioner and it killed the betta during a 100% water change? So of course now I am freaking out because I just did 100% water changes for both our bettas using a new bottle of this same conditioner (the small bottle). Yikes! Does anyone have any more information about this - how long ago were the bad water conditioner bottles circulating, what symptoms did the bettas exhibit and how long did it take before they died, etc? Both of our boys seem fine now. Feathers had the water change yesterday evening, so I figure he's fine, but I honestly can't remember if that was using the very end of our previous bottle of conditioner. Rock N Roll I changed just now definitely using the new bottle, although I did let the water sit out overnight. It has been about 15-20 min now and right now he seems happy and energetic (I accidentally skipped his 100% change last week and did a 50% instead so he is probably happy to have fresh clean water) but I'm paranoid now after hearing about these other fish deaths. I will also search for old posts but can someone tell me how long I should be keeping an eye on this little guy before I can conclude that he's ok and my bottle of water conditioner is fine? FWIW, I bought the conditioner last week from our local Petco.
chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #2 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojo View Post
I just read about this in an old thread that had gotten bumped up somehow but figured better to start a new thread vs. continue on in that one...someone posted that they had a faulty bottle of NutraFin Betta Plus water conditioner and it killed the betta during a 100% water change? So of course now I am freaking out because I just did 100% water changes for both our bettas using a new bottle of this same conditioner (the small bottle). Yikes! Does anyone have any more information about this - how long ago were the bad water conditioner bottles circulating, what symptoms did the bettas exhibit and how long did it take before they died, etc? Both of our boys seem fine now. Feathers had the water change yesterday evening, so I figure he's fine, but I honestly can't remember if that was using the very end of our previous bottle of conditioner. Rock N Roll I changed just now definitely using the new bottle, although I did let the water sit out overnight. It has been about 15-20 min now and right now he seems happy and energetic (I accidentally skipped his 100% change last week and did a 50% instead so he is probably happy to have fresh clean water) but I'm paranoid now after hearing about these other fish deaths. I will also search for old posts but can someone tell me how long I should be keeping an eye on this little guy before I can conclude that he's ok and my bottle of water conditioner is fine? FWIW, I bought the conditioner last week from our local Petco.
It's very unlikely it was the water conditioner that was causing problems. It was probably something in their water or tank that was harming them -- or maybe they were allready sick but the owner didn't notice. If your bettas are acting ok they should be fine, just watch them for 24 hours. If after then they are fine keep using it. If not, and they act strange do a 100% water change with a different conditioner....Prime by seachem costs a bit more but works VERY well and is so concentrated you need only 20 drops/gallon! It lasts a long time... If there's any signs of problems in your betta or you have more questions post them. Tell us if he gets better or worse. Hope it'll be ok :)
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #3 
jman828

And by the way, I don't know how long ago this was about what you're talking about. But, about 6 months ago I was using this same product and it was fine. But now I use Prime by Seachem or none (but don't do this!! I only can because my water report is perfect without even a trace of anything in it except pure h20) I highly reccomend Prime by seachem though! You get more for your $ too :)
Old 11-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

You're talking about me :) My Betta, Venom suffered major "chemical burns" 1 hour after being exposed to the conditioner. It is unknown if it was a chemical burn or a mystery disease that may effect blue Bettas. It was a divided 5.5g tank, my other Betta, Carnage, died 3 days later due to unknown reasons but did not suffer from any fin damage from the water. My Venom lost all his fins, they turned black and fell off. It's very confusing, but the bottle I bought had no expire date on it.

I bought mine from WalMart, I still have a bottle here if you are that scared that you could match the code? I saved the unopened bottle just in case as it had the same code as the one I used.

I am sure everything is fine with yours :) I switched to API Stress Coat and stopped using Nutrafin products.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #5 
chicagojo

Thanks! I feel reassured and hope everything will be ok. I don't have any Prime but I had actually bought a bottle of API Stress Coat intending to switch to that when we upgrade our guys to bigger tanks later this week because the Betta Plus is WAY too expensive to continue with twice weekly water changes in two 2.5 gallon tanks that we will have. So I have that in the house already, but had bought this one last bottle of Betta Plus because one fish was dealing with SBD late last week and I figured I wanted to keep things as consistent as possible for him and wait until he was doing better (which he is now) before changing conditioners. So I will keep a close eye and maybe also prepare some water with the Stress Coat so it is ready to go just in case. These changes I just did will be their last 100% changes in their tiny little 1G bowls since we are hoping to move them later this week...I would be so bummed if something went wrong...
Old 11-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #6 
jman828

Sounds like a good plan =D... After you run out of all your nutrafin and stress coat Prime is a good idea not only does it remove chlorine and such it also detoxifies ammonia and such. Here's a link, it's quite the conditioner!
http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...ges/Prime.html
Good Luck!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #7 
chicagojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I bought mine from WalMart, I still have a bottle here if you are that scared that you could match the code? I saved the unopened bottle just in case as it had the same code as the one I used.

I am sure everything is fine with yours :) I switched to API Stress Coat and stopped using Nutrafin products.
Yes, that would be great. The code on mine says "1107 120" and it does not have any expire date either.

I just checked on him and he still seems fine. It has been about 35 min now so hopefully he is ok. Sorry, I get very easily freaked out about the fishes well-being ever since we had one drop dead from unknown reasons about a month ago.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #8 
Pitluvs

Oh I understand 100%! When I got my Ben, just after I lost Venom and Carnage, I bought everything new. It took me months to use the 5gal again :(

Mine is 1010 116 :) See? Everythings fine haha
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #9 
chicagojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Mine is 1010 116 :) See? Everythings fine haha
Thanks for the reassurance! I am pretty new to fish care (3 months in) and am learning something new every day at this point. Glad this is one thing I don't need to be worried about! I am changing to Stress Coat later this week anyway when I upgrade them to bigger homes so this was probably the last time I will use the Nutrafin.

So sorry to hear about Venom and Carnage, it must have been especially hard to watch the way Venom died and then to lose Carnage just a few days later.

Fish keeping has turned out to be much more emotionally stressful than I anticipated - my husband is telling me that soon I will need to see a therapist for "fish-induced anxiety" and he is not far off...
Old 11-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #10 
dbockrath

Prime, I think, was 8 or 9 dollars when I bought a small bottle, but's it's only 2 drops per gallon so the bottle I got three months ago is still almost full.
dbockrath is offline   Reply With Quote