Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2011, 10:38 PM   #1 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Deciding on my next two spawns....

OK, so I finally have room to spawn again and I would like some feedback on what fish to spawn next.

This is my first choice for a spawn.
Blue girl: She has the non red gene and metallic aka dragon scale gene.

I would like to spawn her with Spirit. Spirit is a Monster HM with the metallic AKA dragon scale gene.

I also have blue girl's sibling brother available for spawning. My only concern is that he is a rose tail and rose tail is the result of inbreeding. So I am concerned I may end up with some deformities in the spawn if I breed them together. The breeder I bought them from said it would be a great idea but I wanted more opinions on it.

The Rose Tail sibling brother.

Another spawn idea is my new pink dragon scale HM with my dragon scale aka metallic, Cambodian multi HM female Lucile.

Henry may have the dalmatian gene, but I cannot be sure because he only has one spot on his dorsal fin. He has the same metallic pink body and shine that Lucile has in the light.

Here is Henry:

And the only pic I could get of Lucile because she moves so fast.

Here is a recent video of her since she is too active to photograph.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1pBlHdrsnQ
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #2 
BeautifulBetta

Blue girl and Spirit are a great pairing!!

Oh but so are Henry and Lucille! GAH! Tough choice o.O I do really like Lucilles colours tho! :) Could probably get some beautiful cambodians from them
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:17 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

I would go with girl A and boy B, the siblins.
He's the best male of the bunch and his caudal is very long which balances out the multiple branching.
Also, your female does not have too many rays so it will compansate the extensive branching of the male.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #4 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
I would go with girl A and boy B, the siblins.
He's the best male of the bunch and his caudal is very long which balances out the multiple branching.
Also, your female does not have too many rays so it will compansate the extensive branching of the male.
Good point! I am gonna do the siblings.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #5 
tpocicat

I agree, the siblings should make a very good match.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:33 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

Wish you were closer, my Spidey would be a great match for your blue girl, although Spidey has marble genes lol I like the sibling spawn, but I also like Henry with her too.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #7 
Dragonlady

I agree that the sibling pair seem nicely matched to each other. You will probably get a percentage of doubletails, singletails and rosetails if they are spawned. Opinions vary greatly on if we should use rosetails for breeding.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #8 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
I agree, the siblings should make a very good match.
Thanks! I am trying we shall see how it goes lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Wish you were closer, my Spidey would be a great match for your blue girl, although Spidey has marble genes lol I like the sibling spawn, but I also like Henry with her too.
I love marble genes that's why I wanted to spawn her with spirit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
I agree that the sibling pair seem nicely matched to each other. You will probably get a percentage of doubletails, singletails and rosetails if they are spawned. Opinions vary greatly on if we should use rosetails for breeding.
I hope I get some rosetails, the breeders I have spoken to say that it's the rose tail genetics that produce the finnage that we all love. It's a lesser known practice though, like how double tail is responsible for making wider dorsal fins yet a lot of people don't know that either.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:03 AM   #9 
vilmarisv

Good choice. IMO, new breeders should start with the best fish they can find... why? Because if you're not 100% commited to work on a line for the next few years, then you will probably quit after a few spawns because you're putting a lot of effort and not getting the results you want out of your spawns.
Breeder before us have already worked on lines and developed the HMs... so why would we want to reinvent the wheel by breeding VT to HM and work to get a wide spread? (of course, this is if you're wanting to breed HMs) I understadn if someone wants to work with colors but still there's true tail types you can work with already available.
Best of luck in your spawn!
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:08 AM   #10 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilmarisv View Post
Good choice. IMO, new breeders should start with the best fish they can find... why? Because if you're not 100% commited to work on a line for the next few years, then you will probably quit after a few spawns because you're putting a lot of effort and not getting the results you want out of your spawns.
Breeder before us have already worked on lines and developed the HMs... so why would we want to reinvent the wheel by breeding VT to HM and work to get a wide spread? (of course, this is if you're wanting to breed HMs) I understadn if someone wants to work with colors but still there's true tail types you can work with already available.
Best of luck in your spawn!
Yea they are a good match just getting them to spawn is proving difficult. Bolth are already over a year old . I have spawned them both separately with younger partners but they have been having a hard time...

I wanted to spawn spirit with blue girl because she has great conformation as well as a nice wide dorsal. He lacks the form that she has but has the coloration that I want as well as a perfect 180 degree tail.

If I can get blue girl and her brother to spawn I should get some pretty remarkable fry though.