Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #1 
kitkatbar

Tannin Power!

So, I've been reading about tannins and they sound like a really nice way to make your fishy's environment more calm and natural feeling for them.

I've read a few things online and was wondering if anybody knew about these...

*Using green tea to get the tannin
*Using Oak Leaf to get the tannin
*Using Rooibos tea to get the tannin

I mention these because I'm interested in doing this and these are the resources available to me...

But, how do you use them?? Do you soak the bag or leaf in the aquarium overnight? or do you do some kind of acclimation thing or what? Has anyone done this? Is it good to do on a consistent basis?
kitkatbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #2 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkatbar View Post
So, I've been reading about tannins and they sound like a really nice way to make your fishy's environment more calm and natural feeling for them.

I've read a few things online and was wondering if anybody knew about these...

*Using green tea to get the tannin
*Using Oak Leaf to get the tannin
*Using Rooibos tea to get the tannin

I mention these because I'm interested in doing this and these are the resources available to me...

But, how do you use them?? Do you soak the bag or leaf in the aquarium overnight? or do you do some kind of acclimation thing or what? Has anyone done this? Is it good to do on a consistent basis?
I just wash oak leaves off with water to get any dirt or debris off . Then I drop them into the tank. The fish love to hide under them and around them. They are always more active when tannin's are present in my experience.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I use native Oak leaves for my tannin needs-about 8 different species in/around my house.....naturally dried and fallen from the tree.....I use roughly 18-20 crushed per gallon of water for treatment...the longer it steeps the more tannins are released the darker the water

In the spawning tank I will added 8-10 whole-they usually will sink after about 4-5 days and slowly release the tannins-I don't generally remove the Oak leaves-but I also have NPT and as they decomp you can see them-I like the added ferts they provide for the plants and the natural CO2 produced with decomp-but in a regular substrate tank you may want to remove them after a few weeks or as you see them starting to break down and replace.

The tannins can change the pH-and so you want to avoid any sudden changes or large water changes unless you properly acclimate first-especially if you use a lot of the tannins-its a good idea to have your replacement water pre tanned to use for the water changes....

You don't want to heat the tannin source over 110F-this will kill the antibacterial/fungal properties...

The processed tea bag-are great to get the stained water that can help with stress and/or the more natural look of amber water, however, due to processing they may not have the antibacterial/fungal properties needed for treatments-but still good for stress if you don't have raw IAL or Oak leaf.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #4 
kitkatbar

Thanks for the advice, Bettas Rule and OFL!

There are a lot of oak trees where I live. For a 3.5 gallon tank how would you suggest integrating oak leaves? I'm concerned about them rotting, but i could just remove them during weekly water changes...
Old 11-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

In an unplanted regular substrate tank-that is what I would do...remove and replace with your weekly water changes or as you start to see them break down...if the tank is tanned fairly dark- I would pre-tan the replacement water used for water changes too or make smaller volume changes...in the 25% range-more or less since you can have pH changes with the use of the tannins....the pH change can be more-so the longer or more mature the system....since the break down(decomp) of organics itself can produce CO2 naturally and this alone can lower pH over and above the acid from the tannins...its not as complicated as it sounds.....its an all natural process-allbeit slight...but you do need to be aware so not to make any sudden/extreme changes especially with long term tannin use.....
Old 11-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #6 
kitkatbar

Got it...I might wait on this awhile because I'm not sure how it would work. Sounds kind of intricate. Would be a good sticky or something =)
Old 11-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #7 
roubidoux

Will the filter remove the tannins? I have an Aquaclear filter in my 10 gal and would like to put oak leaves in it. We have tons rights now!
roubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

If the filter has active charcoal/carbon-that will remove the tannins....
Old 11-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #9 
SnowySurface

If a filter removes tannins from water, does that mean a cycled tank can't have tannins in the water? I didn't realize tannin use was limited to NPT tanks or unfiltered tanks.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

No, no....its not the filter that removes the tannins per se'...it is the carbon/charcoal in the filter..if you use carbon/charcoal-its optional and not needed anyway....charcoal/carbon is more a personal choice since water changes will do the same thing and the carbon/charcoal needs to be active too...it is used up fairly fast and can't be recharged....sorry I wasn't very clear on that......

Tags
betta health, green tea, oak leaves, rooibos, tannin