Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #1 
erinandares

Question Talk me into/ out of this...

"This" being the Air Force. After long consideration, and after looking around at my friends who stayed behind from college and realizing we're all losers, I decided I *may* join the air force... Maybe I should have thought of these things before owning bettas, but I talked to a recruiter today and he says the earliest I could get in for basic would be April or May. So I have plenty of time to get everything settled and easy for my dad to take care of the fish while I'm away. And maybe, if they allow pet fish in my on-base housing once I get assigned to a base (for unmarried airmen without depenents it's a dorm style living arrangement according to the website), I can take the ten gallon with two in it with meee... Oh, possibilites.

Anyway. Yeah. Long story short, I got an 85 on that practice ASVAB thing they have you take. He gave me a long packet of all their jobs and told me to pick eight possibilites out of there. I'm more career minded right now than get in, get college money, get out. The benefits outweigh the doubts. But I'm still on the fence. I've already talked ot my family about it and everything. I went there with my dad, today. But I trust you guys and I know a lot of you have much more life experience than me.

So. What do you all think? And if/when the time comes to leave, you better believe I'll be spamming you up for a care sheet for the betta babies while I'm gone. <3
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #2 
SnowySurface

If I had to think, "What will I be doing 6 years from now?" before I could own my first betta, I wouldn't be on this forum. So don't feel like it's an impulse because you will be seperated from your fish. Since your dad is willing to learn and care for them, your fish is set. I don't see the point of talking you out of it since you didn't come to your decission over night. You've already researched your options, passed a test for the possition, and get more information at each step. This may not be the usual path for a career, but that only makes your idea unique. :)

But I will mention that college isn't the deciding factor between the winners and the losers in life. There are Havard grads sitting on there butts infront of the TV in this economy so don't feel bad about missing the college train. Besides, I think it's a good idea for you as an individual because you want to do it to jump start a career. I hate when people see x years of service offers as pay-off-debt quick schemes. Bootcamp cannot be easier than finding a civilian job to pay back the loan sharks. X3

I doubt I have much more life experience than you since I'm only 26, but this seems like a good idea to me. The airforce may keep you too busy to properly care for fish. So if you ask a recruiter about keeping a tank with you in the dorm the answer may be, "*endless laughter* Hey Bob, you gotta hear this question!" I wouldn't be surprised if an "Absolutely No Pets" rule is in effect just to make sure dorms aren't full of mice, bunnies, gerbils, guenine pigs, and other small pets. In fact, you may be able to bond with other recruites who had to leave pets behind.

I think you have a good plan for your future and wish you luck. :)
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think the Air Force is a good idea. My brother spent 6 years in the Navy , went through a lot of schooling and now he's got a great job. I wish you good luck in whatever you decide to do.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:13 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

I was within a hairs breath of joining the army right after high school. Well, I had to loose about 5 pounds to be within the right weight for a 5.2 female but that wouldn't of been too difficult. I took the ASVAB but at the last minute I decided to go straight to college. This was in 1997. I really wish I did join the army first. If nothing else, I would be in ALOT better physical shape.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:49 PM   #5 
erinandares

Thanks, guys. I've decided that after I talk to my mom (I've already talked to my dad, and he's helped me understand a lot more, you know?) I'll pretty much be set. My mom doesn't seem to care one way or another... But her opinion still matters to me. I'm ready to get out of Sadcliff Kentucky, though. Lol.

Hmmm... Maybe if they don't allow pets I'll get married. Lol. Then I get my own housing and I can keep my bettas. :3

I kid, I kid. Lol. I think it would be fun getting to know dormmates and stuff. And about the losers comment, I mean everyone who isn't off at college is working at Wal Mart or Burger King with nothing to their names and their parents letting them stay at home free of rent. I don't want to be that person when I'm twenty. I hate it now when I'm eighteen and everyone else does it. :/ It's easy to get stuck here.

I'm pretty sure this is what I'm going to do.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have cousins that do that. Live off the parents or live with a boyfriend or girlfriend, having babies up the kazoo. Sorry, mini rant there. I can't stand my cousins. They live in Valley station. lol
Old 11-17-2011, 01:04 AM   #7 
erinandares

Haha, it's cool. I know a family with eleven kids, the oldest of which is a thirty year old *entertainer* in vegas and the fifteen and seventeen year olds are my best friends. Their twenty two year old sister (who doesn't work) lives at home with her ex-marine husband (who works at KFC) and their two year old. Then the third oldest, probably about twenty-seven just got divorced and moved in with her six and three year olds... That's insanity. And neither of them plans on moving out soon. If I was in my twenties with a family, I would be ashamed of myself if I couldn't provide for them and if I tried as little as any of them. :/
Old 11-17-2011, 03:06 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Mu cousin pays for 2 of her grown kids to have cell phones. Both work, one lives at home and he's 20. The other one just got married after having 2 kids out of wedlock. Of course, they had to have the best, most expensive phones. My cousin's phone bill is over 200 a month.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:39 AM   #9 
Leeniex

I think it's a great idea. If any of my kids want to go into the military, I hope is the air force. Good luck.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:20 AM   #10 
Tikibirds

I have some High School friends that still live with their parents. Keep in mind they are 33 yrs old now. One is married with 1 kid and pregnant with another. Her, her hubby and her kid all live with her parents. The current economy had alot to do with it and there aren't many jobs in northeastern NY. It's pretty rural. My best friend also lives with her parents and her 11 yr old son. I don't ever see her moving though, and if she did, she would probably stay within 15 miles of where she lives now. Oddly enough, they only ever hand out when I go back for visits and they live like 10 miles apart.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 11-17-2011 at 06:22 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote