Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #1 
ILoveSushi

To Treat or Not To Treat?

Hi! I cursed out the "Manager" at Walmart this morning over (you guessed it) the conditions of the male bettas. Let me not get started on the little cups... dead floaters or the females being fed algea wafers. I walked out with my free female due to the fact that her tail was split from being picked on. So here's my question... Should I pretreat her for bacteria along with the split fin? I bought some Jungle Fungus Cure & some aquarium salt along with some medicated pellets?

Am I doing too much? Too little? She isn't showing any signs of bacteria (yet) but we all know how "well" Walmart takes care of their fish. Any answers are greatly appreciated.
ILoveSushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

Personally I would just keep the water super clean and only start treating if you see some sort of problem. Fins grow back better without salt, but that is only if they don't get infected. If you decide to put anything in the water I would start with salt first, then move into using the "harder" stuff only if you see a problem.

Also, if you have tannins those would probably be the best to add.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #3 
ILoveSushi

Thank you for the response! Where can I buy the tannins? Also, I noticed after I put in the salt that the tank water looks like it has smoke in it? I checked the ph, ammonia & nitrates they are all normal but I did add some cuttlebone to the tank yesterday for the 3 mystery snails I'm keeping in it. What could be causing the smoke? I did a 15% water change but it didn't do anything.
ILoveSushi is offline   Reply With Quote