Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #1 
LittleBettas

Introducing Sammy! Pictures! :)

Before I get on with my new guy, let me start out with saying
Im happy to say my local Walmart has really cleaned up their act.... I enjoy going and just browsing... tempted, but they all look healthy and fat so I leave without guilt.
Well, today, my BF went on a mission to find a Gamestop... well, next city... we found one, after, we stopped by this cities Super Walmart (GREAT deals and all of the veggies are fresh), of course I had to go check out the bettas, so my BF said "no more" (Avenger is still sick :/ and he doesnt like having to help care for sick bettas... Hurrican is already a perm. handicapped betta)

Well, before I get in on the males, let me say they had two females... one female, the first betta I saw, I fell in love with, a cute little blue, purple, and white marble, I right offknew I was gettng her (I have wanted another female since Tihs passed away), but then I actually look at the rest of the males

NEVER have I been so disgusted
There were 20 betta cups, ALL were filthy, SOLID green, brown and even GRAY water
If that wasnt bad enough, I discovered that EVERY cup had TWO bettas in it
and one cup had THERE! (two males and a tiny dead female :( )
Most of the males in the cups where dead, but after some digging I found three cups, one with a dead male and female and a live male, one with two live males, and one with a live male and a male who was barely alive
I then started to look for cups to removing the living males (which I found under the sink) I then used some stress coat/water conditionor and some AQ salt (I bought both bottles after) to put allin new cups with fresh water

The survin males were not to bad off, good finage left andall a healthy weight, however

Under the counter while looking for the cups, I discovere what I guess is a forgotten betta... or Sammy as he is now known as

Sammy was in the back, filthy water (algea and poop), he has little fin left (almost as bad as Finn was when I found him), I am certain the loss of fin is frombeing placed in a cup with another betta
And he is SO skinny
My BF thinks he already looks dead, but after seeing the other cups, said okay... I woud have gotten the femle but I only have one empty tank (though Im keeping Sammy in his cup for awhile)

Well, here is the guy, hes a CT tricolor

LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #2 
revolutionrocknroll

What?! Two bettas? That's the most awful thing I've ever heard of! I had to reread that several times because I couldn't believe it. I thought my Walmart was bad...
But that's great that you rescued that little guy. He looks like he's going to be so pretty!
revolutionrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #3 
mjoy79

OMG this is so heartbreaking! Did you say something to that Walmart management?

Look forward to seeing how Sammy progresses. i hope he's ok!
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #4 
LittleBettas

Are you kidding?
I threw a FIT!
I have never been so disgusted, Im trying to get in contact with Walmart HQ now to report this, obviously NONE of the bettas have been cared for, I wish I had had my cell on me to take pictures for proof, the smell was horrible

AND, I forgot to mention that there was a male VT in a tank with 6 large Koi and maybe 15? feeder goldfish

I am SO beyond angry, I also visited the Walmart in another city last week and was VERY impressed with them, GREAT looking bettas (they had a steel grey male CT) and they even had an established sorority (great looking gals)
Old 11-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #5 
LittleBettas

Heres my current set up for Sammy
Hes floating in a 2.5 gallon with Beowulf so he can stay warm, I did it a bit different then I usually do (to minimize stress)

the tank (Beowulf still has 2.5 gallons of water to hisself, a small part is divided off to prevent him from harrasing Sammy) Beowulf doesnt seem to really mind the change, he just seems annoyed I messed with his tank without feeding him XD

Above

The view from Beowulf's side

Sammy's side:

And a few pics of Sammy NOW... clean water, 1 mini pellet, and a heater later

Old 11-18-2011, 07:46 AM   #6 
betta lover1507

you doing great with betta rescues littlebettas

in what the heck put 3 fish together in a cup? even just 2 is crazy
don't anyone smell the dead fish?, my walmart stopped selling fish years ago
i would vented at those employee's because that is just crazy, on betta with koi's? dosen't that just sound bizarre?
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:00 AM   #7 
heathbar

OMG it's so heartbreaking to hear about the care the betta's were getting. I've never seen or heard of them being treated so poorly. If they arn't going to do it right, they shouldn't do it at all. Stoopid Walmart....

I can't wait to see how Sammy looks in a few months when his fins grown back in. I'm sure he'll look like a whole new (and healthy!) fish!
heathbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:20 AM   #8 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta lover1507 View Post
you doing great with betta rescues littlebettas

in what the heck put 3 fish together in a cup? even just 2 is crazy
don't anyone smell the dead fish?, my walmart stopped selling fish years ago
i would vented at those employee's because that is just crazy, on betta with koi's? dosen't that just sound bizarre?

Thank you Betta Lover1507 :)

I have no idea, just complete shock to descrive that, the whole are smells like dead fish, appaently people in that area do not even notice (5 or 6 customers walked by while I was seperating fish) I know I couldnt eat all day, the smell seems to cling :/

Im thinking that a customer put him in there (the tanks were unlocked).. sadly he wasthe best looking dude
Old 11-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #9 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathbar View Post
OMG it's so heartbreaking to hear about the care the betta's were getting. I've never seen or heard of them being treated so poorly. If they arn't going to do it right, they shouldn't do it at all. Stoopid Walmart....

I can't wait to see how Sammy looks in a few months when his fins grown back in. I'm sure he'll look like a whole new (and healthy!) fish!

Neither have I... guess I have gotten spoiled with my walmarts cleaning up thier act :/

I'll keep everything updated! His colors are gorgeous! :) Can't wait to see how it all turns out
Old 11-18-2011, 08:29 AM   #10 
vilmarisv

I'm sure its not something any employee did. It is an awful thing and I've seen it myself happen. Some customers get a kick out of placing bettas together in the cups out of cruelty, I've found fish like that in Walmart, Petco, and Petsmart. The level of supervision section of the fish doesn't seem to make a difference because when I found it at a Petco the fish were on the main isle.
It's sick but unfortunately, there people out there who enjoy being cruel.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote