Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #1 
emeraldsky

Dropsy?

Hey all,

My cambodian girl in my sorority looked bloated 2 days ago so I cupped her to fast her and made sure nothing else was the matter. This morning when I woke up, I checked on her and she was dead and pine coned so im assuming its dropsy.

Is Dropsy contagious?
My other girls have been fine since I cupped her and I havent seen any other bloated or lethargic, but should I be worried?

Thank you.
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss....

Due to how fish decomp-I wouldn't base very much on what the body looked liked after death.....

Drospy is a symptom of many different problems and not a disease in of itself.....so what caused the females death may or may not be contagious....

Its a good idea anytime you have a fish in a community tank or sorority that falls ill or found dead to make a few water changes and monitor closely and if any look to be ill....do what you did....QT......good call by the way....

Need some more information-tank size, how much and how often are the water changes, filter, live plants, additives used, how long setup, number and species of livestock, appetite of the remaining fish and has the tank ever been sick and/or treated in the past 2 weeks......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #3 
emeraldsky

Ah really?
I didnt see pineconing the night before and only after she died so I thought it was because of that.

Hmm its been 2 days since I took her out, and no signs from my other girls, I'll do a water water change tonight. Had to do one soon anyways, I have 3 new girls to add in and need to rearrange everything.

Do you think I should wait to add the 3 new girls? Theyve been in QT for a little under 2 weeks so I know they are healthy.

Tank is 20 gallons, water changes are about 50% every 2 weeks. I have an Aqueon Quiet Flow Filter 20 (for 30g tanks), no live plants. The tank has been up for about a month or so. Tank is heated and about 80 degrees.

Should I be doing more water changes?
the only additives have been water conditioner.

Right now, my tank has 3 khuli loaches, 10 ghost shrimp, and 5 betta girls. The girls are still pigs and eat normally and my algae wafers have been disappearing so im assuming my shrimp and khuli have been eating.

Tank has never been treated for illness, shes the first one.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

With that stocking level I would make 50% weekly with vacuum in all areas that can be reached without moving anything and give the filter media a rinse/swish in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month to maintain water quality.....and since the tank is fairly new you may want to make a second 50% water only weekly too-unless you have a test kit and then base the second weekly water only on test of ammonia, nitrite 0.25ppm or greater and keep the nitrate 20ppm or less-especial if you are going to keep shrimp

The only additive you need in my opinion....is a good dechlorinator....

Its up to you if you want to add the new females...sometimes QT needs to be 4-6 weeks...but 2 weeks and they are fine....you may be okay....just stay on top of the water quality and limit stress.....

Love to see some pics.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #5 
emeraldsky

alright, i will certainly up the water changes then ^^

I dont have a test kit yet, I plan on getting one with my next paycheck. I dont plan on adding anymore shrimp though, at least for awhile.

I think I'll keep the other females in QT until this weekend, I can watch all the girls more closely when I put them in and hopefully break up any fights.

Name:  New Image.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  39.6 KB
Here's my tank right after I set it up so there's no fish in it, I do have a lid for it now ^^
Old 11-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #6 
Silverfang

I love that dragon ornament, I just had to comment. The tank looks lovely. Sorry for your little girl, hope the rest stay healthy and enjoy their home.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #7 
emeraldsky

Thank you ^^