Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #1 
Larsa

Help, fuzzy slimey stuff! Kasumi looks so sad :'(

Help, idk how to diagnose this! So my girls have been QT'd a week in their own lil cups-DAILY water changes that are 78F-80F in temperature- while I massively cleaned out their ten gal tank, adding in new substrate, new live plants, etc. Anyways all 5 of my girls are active, eating, and seem happy except for Kasumi- my first betta girl :'D I CANT loose her... She usually is a PIGGY and is VERY HYPER, chasing bubbles, jumping outta the water, and biting my finger, she always constantly begs for food. The past few days She has had clamped fins, wont eat, and has stringy tan poopings. I give her daily warm conditioned water changes. I use a drop of Prime conditioner in their cups. Today she is pretty lethargic, wont touch her food but come up for breaths, and has stringy fuzzy clear growths on her! Her water is full of these floating thingies that came off her body. Not all of it will come off her body. Her nostrils, fins, and side has these fuzzy stringy things. I am not sure if this is slime disease, cotton wool disease, some kind of bacterial or fungal disease, or what else so I am not sure how to treat her. I am not at all good with diagnosing betta diseases :/ Can anyone tell what this is? I took these pictures in the dark, so they might look pretty dark-plus there are a few water spots on the cups-please ignore those LOL. I hope the pictures help and hopefully this is a minor problem for Kasumi... I hope she gets better so I can play with her again :( she looks sooooo sad it is breaking my heart. Thank you to anyone....
Attached Images

Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #2 
Myates

Looks like she is shedding her slime coat. She may be stressing out due to all of the water changes and being in the cup. Since she wasn't sick when she was put in there, she's probably more upset over that- as usually with sick fish going into cups, they are not feeling well enough to care as much.
When you're doing the water changes each day, how are you acclimating them to the new water and the temp of the new water?

Also, when you change the water in the cups, do you see a lot of bubbles in the cup afterwards? It could be dissolved gasses, which can cause slime coats to lift.

But in this case, it may just be due to stress- which is also what could be causing her to not eat and clamp up. She's tired of the cup and daily water changes and wants to go home. I would get them back into the tank soon if you can.
It is none of the diseases that you listed. It's just her slime coat, and that in itself isn't dangerous.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #3 
Larsa

Awwes I dont blame her from being in that stupid cup...

What I do is I get my new cup of warm water, conditioned, and I take some of her old water out and then add some of her new water into her old water that she is in. Then after 15 mins I take a net and put her in her new water. Thank you, however, she really seems sick :( Her eyes look sunken-in like they are going inside her skull a little bit. My other 2 fish before, Natsuko and Sakura showed this sign before they died. If you really think it'll help to put the girls back in their tank, I can but them back home however their tank has new plants, new substrate, new everything and has only been running with the heater and filteron for a little over a day. I can float them in their cups :)

Last edited by Larsa; 11-11-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #4 
Myates

Float them in their cups to keep them warm.. could take weeks to cycle :( I would ask Oldfishlady how soon it would be safe to return them into the tank with the new plants in. She'll know how fast the tank will cycle and can recommend you more on how and when.
She may also know more about any illnesses that causes eyes to sink in, as all the cases I know of, illnesses and injuries, the eyes don't sink in. So that, I'm at a loss for, I'm sorry.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #5 
finekettleoffish

It's columnaris; read my post New Mom Needs Advice. It kills quickly, and I just lost my beloved Raoul. I wish someone could have diagnosed it for me and saved him :(

First, keep the temp around 74 degrees and add aquarium salt to help your fish fight the infection and breathe better. Read this article and decide on medication. But you must use antibiotics immediately. Quit using the net, too; you're giving the bacteria opportunities to spread through abrasions and stressing your fish.

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Columnaris.html

Last edited by finekettleoffish; 11-11-2011 at 09:49 PM.
finekettleoffish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #6 
Myates

She has no signs of columnaris- what that is, is excess slime coating, it's not fungus.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:24 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

When misty had columnaris, I did notice that her eyes were also sunken in a bit. However she did not have bits floating off her like that. What she did get was bands of white scales that were eventually eaten away by bacteria. Although Myates is probably right, i would keep a eye on her.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #8 
finekettleoffish

Columnaris is bacteria, not fungus. The most commonly observed and treatable form of columnaris often presents itself as stringy white, grey or off-white "wool" on the fish's face, mouth, or gills. The ulcers tikibird mentioned appear at a late stage. The floating bits are excess mucus expelled from the gills.

Mistaking columnaris (easily caught by fish during stressful experiences like shipping and living in one of those small store cups) made me inadvertently kill my fish by raising the water temp (fungus), as opposed to lowering it for a bacterial infection.

From Wikipedia:

Symptoms

An infection will usually first manifest in fish by causing frayed and ragged fins. This is followed by the appearance of ulcerations on the skin, and subsequent epidermal loss, identifiable as white or cloudy fungus-like patches – particularly on the gill filaments. Mucus often also accumulates on the gills, head and dorsal regions. Gills will change colour, either becoming light or dark brown. Fish will breathe rapidly and laboriously as a sign of gill damage. Inappetance and lethargy are common, as are mortalities – especially in young fish.

If this doesn't sound like your fish, then good luck. But if your fish dies in a few days and that white stuff is all over it, most likely it was columnaris.
finekettleoffish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:32 AM   #9 
Myates

The girl has been living in the cup for a while now close to 2+ weeks- was deemed healthy a few times during that time for different reasons, by others, including OFL. Why I think it's more due to stress rather than an illness, especially since she's been in just the cup, with daily water changes for almost 2 weeks, if not more.

Not saying there couldn't be a slight chance- but a lot of times excess stress will cause them to shed extra slime coating. Being in a super clean envirotment really isn't idea for diseases to grow in.

Last edited by Myates; 11-12-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #10 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by finekettleoffish View Post
Columnaris is bacteria, not fungus. The most commonly observed and treatable form of columnaris often presents itself as stringy white, grey or off-white "wool" on the fish's face, mouth, or gills. The ulcers tikibird mentioned appear at a late stage. The floating bits are excess mucus expelled from the gills.

Mistaking columnaris (easily caught by fish during stressful experiences like shipping and living in one of those small store cups) made me inadvertently kill my fish by raising the water temp (fungus), as opposed to lowering it for a bacterial infection.

From Wikipedia:

Symptoms

An infection will usually first manifest in fish by causing frayed and ragged fins. This is followed by the appearance of ulcerations on the skin, and subsequent epidermal loss, identifiable as white or cloudy fungus-like patches particularly on the gill filaments. Mucus often also accumulates on the gills, head and dorsal regions. Gills will change colour, either becoming light or dark brown. Fish will breathe rapidly and laboriously as a sign of gill damage. Inappetance and lethargy are common, as are mortalities especially in young fish.

If this doesn't sound like your fish, then good luck. But if your fish dies in a few days and that white stuff is all over it, most likely it was columnaris.
If I had any belief that it was columnaris, I would be the first one jumping in to give the proper treatment. But with the history of this girl, the enviroment, etc.. not even the good bacteria has time to grow. Sadly, this girl will pass more from stress and not having proper water conditions (even with daily water changes in small cup) before she will die of columnaris.

Also, when a fish passes, the coating and such comes off so there will always be a white-milky fungus type covering.