Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #11 
jman828

And BTW, It's heated.....I just bought one of those terrible "betta kits" and a heater for a QT.....it's only 0.8 gallons but it makes a good QT :)
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #12 
jman828

He still hasn't pooped.....is there anything else I can do?
Old 11-20-2011, 12:32 PM   #13 
flowerslegacy

Did he fast? If so, how long? When was the last time he ate? I had a new betta who didn't eat for 11 days when I first got her home. It took her a couple of days of eating before she passed. Then she first passed a clear poo because it was void of nutrients. If you have him ES, that's the best laxative. I'm sure Myates will chime in soon . . .
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #14 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerslegacy View Post
Did he fast? If so, how long? When was the last time he ate? I had a new betta who didn't eat for 11 days when I first got her home. It took her a couple of days of eating before she passed. Then she first passed a clear poo because it was void of nutrients. If you have him ES, that's the best laxative. I'm sure Myates will chime in soon . . .
Yes he fasted 3 days. He ate 3 days ago. But he not new. He in in ES but he's become lethargic and doesn't look very well so I need to know if there's some meds I should use. Hopefully Myates will come in soon! :)
Old 11-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #15 
jman828

Myates, When you arrive he seems to have possibly pooped but then ate it?? I walked in to where he is in his QT and I saw Him head down vertically at the bottom of the tank. He then ate something, and didn't spit it out. I never put any food in so It can't be food so I don't know what could've happened......You might know
Old 11-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #16 
jman828

Sorry to keep adding info but I now see he is having rapid gill movement and where the bloat is he has lost all his color and it's white aswell his head is turning a goldish tinge and he is just acting unlike himself. I was thinking of adding some fungus medication but I'm going to wait a bit longer to see if Myates comes back in.....if not I'm just gonna add the meds.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:06 PM   #17 
flowerslegacy

I wouldn't add meds until she advises you where to go. He appears to have an internal organ issue ie. swim bladder, digestive, etc. It doesn't appear to be fungal. Adding meds when they're already experiencing organ issues could only make the situation worse. Do you know your pH? I noticed on your tank link that you don't have any live plants, but what is your substrate? Is it natural gravel? Do you have any natural driftwood? Sometimes the substrate or our natural decorations can alter our pH levels and when we do a water change, the sudden chemical change can cause shock issues. He appears to be having an environmental/chemical problem. I know it's a helpless feeling, but there may not be any meds to assist. I see that she's not online, so perhaps you can try Sakura8 or OFL by sending them a pm?
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #18 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerslegacy View Post
I wouldn't add meds until she advises you where to go. He appears to have an internal organ issue ie. swim bladder, digestive, etc. It doesn't appear to be fungal. Adding meds when they're already experiencing organ issues could only make the situation worse. Do you know your pH? I noticed on your tank link that you don't have any live plants, but what is your substrate? Is it natural gravel? Do you have any natural driftwood? Sometimes the substrate or our natural decorations can alter our pH levels and when we do a water change, the sudden chemical change can cause shock issues. He appears to be having an environmental/chemical problem. I know it's a helpless feeling, but there may not be any meds to assist. I see that she's not online, so perhaps you can try Sakura8 or OFL by sending them a pm?
My Ph should be fine because my other one in the same tank is fine but I will test it and let you know soon. My substrate is gravel, just from the petstore. No driftwood. Hopefully she'll be on soon

EDIT: Ph=7.6

Last edited by jman828; 11-20-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #19 
Oldfishlady

Epsom salt-how much are you using and how long has he been in it-what is the water temp and are you also using a tannin source....when you first started the Epsom salt-did you acclimate him to it...or how did you change him over to the new chemistry....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:58 PM   #20 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Epsom salt-how much are you using and how long has he been in it-what is the water temp and are you also using a tannin source....when you first started the Epsom salt-did you acclimate him to it...or how did you change him over to the new chemistry....
1tsp/gal....been in 2 days......78 degrees no tannin....yes i did acclimate