Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #21 
Oldfishlady

I would increase the Epsom salt to 3tsp/gal and add tannins-premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the Epsom salt and a tannin source-either IAL or dried oak leaf and let this steep for 30min and make 50% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today and start 100% tomorrow with this treatment water in the QT floating in the heated tank to maintain temp-also, cover the QT with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ-turn off the light and limit outside stimuli.

Hold food for 2 days then offer small frequent meals of good quality varied diet-you also need to keep his digestive system working.

With sudden bloating along with buoyancy and becoming more lethargic....something else may be going on too....this treatment will treat the symptoms and it may take 4-5 days before you see improvement....

Good luck....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:30 PM   #22 
Myates

Sorry jman, just got your PM.. all of us here have been fighting the flu, so haven't come on as much.

They don't go to the bathroom as much as a lot of other fish- so sometimes it can be a day or two before they do. I am inclined to think the coloring on the belly is because it is extended- as when a couple of mine pig out too much their bellies become silver in color. (One is very prone to bloating, can barely eat 4 pellets a day and even with that his stomach is extended.)
Wondering if he may have internal parasites.. but until he poops, you won't really know.
I see no reason to add in fungus medication, the coloration isn't due to that. Have you been doing 100% water changes daily? And is there any chance that the temp wasn't the same and he wasn't acclimated enough?
OFL may have some sound advice, but right now I would go ahead and do another 100% water change, with nothing added but your water conditioner until OFL comes back on to help. I want to say internal parasites, but without more evidence such as white waste, or if there are grey patches elsewhere on him, I'm hesitant to tell you to medicate for it. Is there a way to get a picture up of him?

I'm sorry- I'm not able to think clearly right now, only jumped on to check email and can barely last that long :(

*edit*
Oh hey look... didn't realize it took me 10 minutes to type that.. holy cow I'm going back to bed.. OFL has you covered :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #23 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I would increase the Epsom salt to 3tsp/gal and add tannins-premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the Epsom salt and a tannin source-either IAL or dried oak leaf and let this steep for 30min and make 50% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today and start 100% tomorrow with this treatment water in the QT floating in the heated tank to maintain temp-also, cover the QT with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ-turn off the light and limit outside stimuli.

Hold food for 2 days then offer small frequent meals of good quality varied diet-you also need to keep his digestive system working.

With sudden bloating along with buoyancy and becoming more lethargic....something else may be going on too....this treatment will treat the symptoms and it may take 4-5 days before you see improvement....

Good luck....
Ok my QT is heated so I won't float it in anything, also I have no tannins or access to them, but I will increase the salt (wow 3tsp. that amount scares me but I trust you)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Sorry jman, just got your PM.. all of us here have been fighting the flu, so haven't come on as much.

They don't go to the bathroom as much as a lot of other fish- so sometimes it can be a day or two before they do. I am inclined to think the coloring on the belly is because it is extended- as when a couple of mine pig out too much their bellies become silver in color. (One is very prone to bloating, can barely eat 4 pellets a day and even with that his stomach is extended.)
Wondering if he may have internal parasites.. but until he poops, you won't really know.
I see no reason to add in fungus medication, the coloration isn't due to that. Have you been doing 100% water changes daily? And is there any chance that the temp wasn't the same and he wasn't acclimated enough?
OFL may have some sound advice, but right now I would go ahead and do another 100% water change, with nothing added but your water conditioner until OFL comes back on to help. I want to say internal parasites, but without more evidence such as white waste, or if there are grey patches elsewhere on him, I'm hesitant to tell you to medicate for it. Is there a way to get a picture up of him?

I'm sorry- I'm not able to think clearly right now, only jumped on to check email and can barely last that long :(

*edit*
Oh hey look... didn't realize it took me 10 minutes to type that.. holy cow I'm going back to bed.. OFL has you covered :)
Thanks, if he *did* have parasites is that hard to get rid of?
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #24 
flowerslegacy

Parasites are pretty easy to get rid of, but the meds are anti-parasitic and some can be a little harsh. Parasites generally create an overall weight loss problem and then the betta begins in pass small, white thread-like matter. Your guy is currently bloated. OFL knows all signs and symptoms so she will direct you if she feels that's a possible direction. You're in good hands!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:46 PM   #25 
jman828

For sure, OFL saved the day as always! :D OFl, you're awesome!
you to flowers in your specific areas of expertise you've taught me a lot which i've taught to others. Thank you both. Haved upped my ES and he is acclimating. Will keep updating every day. ;)

EDIT: OFL when you say hold off on food for 2 days then offer small meals do you mean feed him after 2 days even if he's still bloated??

Last edited by jman828; 11-20-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #26 
flowerslegacy

You're welcome :) You know I'm always here for you! Even if I don't have the answers, I'll do all I can to lead you in the right direction. I'm always happy to help. And you're right . . . OFL is just the bomb.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:22 PM   #27 
jman828

OK well to see if it'll help here's 2 pics. My camera always gets either a bad pic or water glare so here's the best I can get. Notice his bottom fin (the big one) is losing color and he has a white spot under his mouth

IF they're too small click on them for a bigger one
Old 11-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #28 
Oldfishlady

If he wants to eat...feed him.....its important to keep the digestive system working and moving any of the normal internal parasites out on a regular basis...really small meals.......3-4 times a day....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:38 PM   #29 
jman828

Ok I will give really small meals, now say he does have parasites (hopefylly not though!) will this white poop you guys are talking about be easy to spot on a bare bottom QT or is it more clear that white and easy to see? could you describe it? LOL. =P
Old 11-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #30 
flowerslegacy

You can google 'internal fish parasites' and they show a few good pics. When they're pooping them out, usually there are a few of them at one time. Some times they're long and white. Other times they try to poop them out and then they go back in! They're actually white/whitish clear. You can see them. Once they make it to the bottom they actually move around a little. *Bleck*