Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2011, 02:55 AM   #1 
Jodah

Question Just a couple setup questions

Planning on setting up a 5.5g for MY betta (g/f just got her own that I setup for her) and i have just a couple quick questions.

First, how much gravel is necessary? I know the bags at petco say 1/2lb per gallon. With my g/fs tank, this ended up being 5lb's and about a 1 to 1-1/2 inch thick layer of gravel at the bottom.
This would mean I would need approx 11lbs of gravel correct?

I also plan on running the whisper mini. Think it's now called the 2-10i? already made a nice little anti-betta suction screen for the intake at the bottom. Working on a baffle for the top.
May just stuff some sponge or floss on the output (in between the case and the cartridge) and leave it on the lowest setting.
Hopefully, I can get low enough flow to not tick off the betta or overflow the back of the filter housing.

I'm going to avoid live plants at the moment until I actually get this up and running and stable. So, once it is up and running, I'll be using silk plants.

Heater is going to be an jager 50w. My room can get very cold in the winter time, and I certainly don't want the little guy to be shivering.

Comments and opinions welcome! Thanks in advance!
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #2 
mjoy79

What you've got planned sounds great from what I can tell. I think you're good with a couple of 5 lb bags of gravel for your 5.5G. Look forward to seeing your set up and your new betta!
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #3 
Jodah

Picked up the 10i, and an aqueon 50w today. The new 10i is way different from the old bio-flow mini I was using in my g/fs 2.5g. it's also not adjustable, nor does the screen i made for the suction going to even remotely fit >_< Back to the drawing board with that one. On the plus side, since the screen is made, I can toss the bio-mini back in the 2.5 lol.

For the life of me I can't find any filter floss, or sponge that's not preformed to fit a fluval, or whisper, etc. gonna have to hit up walmart for a sponge it seems.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #4 
Oiseau

I have a 5.5g and only needed 5lbs of gravel. :)

(You can click to see it enlarged. Coverage is the same at the back as it is at the front.)
Oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:26 PM   #5 
Jodah

That actually doesn't look too bad. I suppose the less gravel you have, the less you have to vacuum it. nice tank btw! I'm not sure if I want to go with black gravel, natural stone looking gravel, or something silly. Suppose it all depends on what betta I get. My local petco get's it's shipment every tuesday. So now I know when to stop by to get best pick.