Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #1 
Tikibirds

Question Whisper, penguin, or sponge?

So, I am giving in and will be getting a proper filter for the 20 gallon.

Currently, I have the filter from my 5 gallon marineland tank in it to help with the stinky water issue. It seems to work but i should probably be using something rated for 20 gallons

I am more interested in keeping the water free of as much debris and odor as possible then I am in cycling and reducing water changes. I dont mind water changes

Any reviews on these filters?
Marineland Penguin
Tetra whisper
Sponge filter

I think what I am using is a mini version of the penguin filter. It has that bio wheel thingy. Also, I'm kinda worried about them getting stuck in the intake section of the filter. I originally stopped using the marineland one because I found my HM male with his long fins sucked up into the lower part of the filter. He was fine but I am afraid someone will get stuck in it and drowned. It's an all female tank so no long fins, but still...

I can find the marineland and tetra one locally but a sponge filter I would have to order. I cant find one anywhere.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #2 
heathbar

I've tried a lot of different HOB's but the Aquaclear ones are my favorite. I've never used a sponge filter or the biowheel filters so I don't know how they compare to the other filters on the market.

If you are worried about the intake put a prefilter sponge over it. I've found that the Fluval Edge sponges fit over most intakes really well and most pet stores carry them. I use them on all 3 of my tanks, some intakes require 2 sponges to cover up the whole thing.

Sponge link: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3650250
heathbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #3 
BellasMomma

I have the penguin wheel 100 in my 10 gal divided tank. I switch it from side to side everyday cuz it doesn't filter through the mesh too great but when I used it without the divider it worked great. I have a female and a male crowntail and neither one has ever gotten stuck anywhere. I have it baffled wit a water bottle. I think for 20 gal ud have to get the penguin 200.
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #4 
Thunderloon

The problem at 20g is that means the 150b Penguin. The 150b needs several modifications in order to be bettasafe. The intake MUST have a sponge of some sort and the output has to be baffled using screws to anchor whatever you end up using. Its a very very good filter, I never had a problem with it doing its job but it sucked one poor girl completely into a U around the intake and destroyed her swim bladder and the output was so vicious that they couldn't sleep anywhere in the heavily planted 10 without being pushed around. That in mind - after the modifications it was an awesome unit. They come with the capacity to run TWO cards or you can put a card in the second slot and put hand-cut floss in front of it.

If you can use them, get sponge filters, but you'll need to use a pair of 10g sponges, one near each end, so get two air pumps. (I like the walmart ones, I hang them from a heavy rubber band and they make NO noise)

Second choice would be the AquaClear30. Under larger loads you want to move up to the larger filters to reduce the huge amount of debris they can pick out, but keep it firmly in mind that AquaClear are actually sponge filters too!
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

decisions, decisions...
Old 11-16-2011, 09:44 AM   #6 
heathbar

Have you considered a canister filter with a spray bar? I know on the Ehiem's you can adjust the output on them by just turning a nob. I have an Ehiem 2213, it's my first canister filter and I love it.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #7 
Thunderloon

A normal loaded 20 isn't going to support even a small actual canister.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:44 PM   #8 
heathbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderloon View Post
A normal loaded 20 isn't going to support even a small actual canister.
How so? Canister filters come in all sizes, for small tanks to huge ones. I've seen them successfully used on tanks as small as 7 gallons.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:48 AM   #9 
Tikibirds

What are canister filters?
There are 9 females in the tank, if that makes any difference.

From what I can remember from earlier today, Petco has:

Marineland penguin 100 and 200
Aquaflow, or maybe it was aquaclear? Aqua something..
Aqueon something
tetra whisper EX
I dont recall their exact names. Sorry.

I redid the tank and did a water change so I could add Apple Bloom in with the girls. She was in a 1 gallon QT but it wasn't heated and it's bitterly cold outside (-40F) and rather chilly in here. Didn't want her to get to cold, so I added her to the 20G. I was very surprised at how clean the water was. There was no smell, well, maybe a little but not nearly as bad as it was and there wasn't as much gunk floating in the water. For something that was designed for a 5 gallon, it's doing a pretty good job in the 20G and that's why I'm leaning towards the penguin filter. I have a plastic plant in front of the outflow part, otherwise the current just pushes them away. Its kinda funny to watch, actually.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 11-17-2011 at 05:55 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #10 
Brian10962001

Aqua tech! Super low cost, last forever. I have a Penguin 110 (older model but still bio wheel) and an Aqua tech 10 - 20 of the same vintage, same filter all parts exchange! You can get the Aqua tech 10-20, and baffle it very cheaply, plus the new Aqua tech filters have bio foam, same purpose as the bio wheel
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote