Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2011, 09:38 PM   #1 
Persica

Leaving my dorm for Thanksgiving break, tank situation?

Hey, I just have a pretty quick question so I'll make it short and sweet. :) I'm going home for Thanksgiving which will be Wednesday through Sunday and I was wondering if it would be better to take my betta's entire 5 gallon tank, as to not shock him with a new environment, or if it would be okay to just buy a small tank for him to be in temporarily. I don't want to do anything to compromise him. Thanks for any advice in advance!
Persica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

I was in your exact same position about 4 years ago. He actually should be fine for that time if there will be a heat source for him. Also remember, if you buy another tank you will have to cycle it again.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #3 
Persica

You mean he would be fine in the dorm for that time by himself? I'm just worried his heater might malfunction and shoot up or something and I wouldn't be there to see it and shut it off.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #4 
thekoimaiden

He would be fine. Fish don't need to be fed every day. I think bettas can go up to 2 weeks without food. How often has your heater malfunctioned? Is this something you have to deal with on a daily basis?
Old 11-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #5 
Persica

It never has, I've just heard of it happening with heaters before and I'm super paranoid, haha.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #6 
pieleld

I'll be leaving as well. Just leave the window uncovered so he can still have daylight, make sure the heater is functioning properly at the right temperature, and just feed him right before you leave. He'll be fine for a few days.
pieleld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #7 
Persica

Would it have an adverse effect on him if I just set up a 2 gallon critter keeper at my house for him to stay in temporarily? Or would that stress him out so much that it would just be better to leave him? He wouldn't have food for 4 days.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:48 PM   #8 
thekoimaiden

Putting him in a critter keeper would stress him out immensely because he would have to go through the nitrate cycle all over again. Not to mention the travel. A few days without food is actually therapeutic for fish. I'm getting ready to fast my goldfish for about 5 days due to some major issues I've been having with bloat. And it helps that you won't be there to see him beg for food.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #9 
pieleld

It's not really about the cycle. The cycle shouldn't break in a few days. There is still waste in the tank for the bacteria to feed on. What would stress him out is the travel and the new environment. Winter break, you will definitely need to take him with you. But just for four days, it shouldn't even phase him. The food is not an issue. Heat and light are. Make sure the heat is stable at an acceptable temperature and that he gets some daylight during the day. Don't worry about it, he'll be fine :P

Also, try to do a water change a day before you leave just to ensure water quality.
pieleld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #10 
Persica

What percent water change? He's in a 5 gallon. :)