Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2011, 04:34 PM   #1 
Ouzinian

Question Betta Ick and Fin Rot

The other day, I noticed that Wil (my beautiful Red and Blue veil tail betta) wasnt eating. I just thought that it was because I hadnt cleaned his tank yet that week. So I did a water change. The next day I noticed these white spots on him. So I looked it up and found that he had ick. So the next day I ran out to the pet store not far from me and got some QuICK Care, and I also decided to get a small heater and a small filter. Since his tank is pretty small, about 2.5 gallon. After about two days or so, I noticed that the ick started to go away. He seemed to feel better because he started to swim around more and would rest on the leaves in his tank. Another few days, I noticed that his big tail under his body started to thin out. My friend got him for my birthday, so I noticed that day he already had some fins that looked like they were nipped at, which was weird becasue my friend got him from the store in his own little plastic cage.
One day, I was sitting at my desk, his tank is right above me on the desk (the desk has this shelf type thing that is perfect for him), and I happend to look over and see that his fin was really thin and was breaking apart. I looked it up and it said that it was fin rot. So I started to add this stress coat that had aloe vera in it. Which seemed to help him get better faster, because the ick was gone a few days later, and he started to swim alot more, and started to eat again. The "fin rot" finally stopped, and it looks like his fin is slowly growing back.
And today I noticed that he likes to swim in this one corner, that is the closest to me, he just swims back and forth, up and down, in that one area. Once in awhile swims the whole side of the tank. His color is getting brighter, the way Im sure its suppose to be, and Im seeing that his very back fin his thinned out. When I first got him he was too scared to come out from under the fake reef thats in his tank.
I know I should be happy about the fact that he is out and about, but Im worried about the fact that he is just swimming in that one spot. Should I worry about that? And his fins being thinned out, is there any way I can get them back to the way they are suppose to be? Should I also worry about the ick coming back?
Ouzinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi Ouzinian and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear Wil has had a few health problems. Can you help us out and answer a few questions?

How often do you clean his tank?
How much do you remove?
What kind of water conditoner do you use?

Also, if you have pics of Wil's ick and his fin rot, that would help us tremendously.

For now, I can answer your one question about Wil swimming in one spot. It's the spot closest to you, right? Don't worry. Bettas are very social and curious fish and Wil just wants to be close to you and he's just trying to get your attention. For your other concerns, your answers to the questions will help us know how help you there. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #3 
Ouzinian

I have a 10 gallon tank in my room, every Thursday I clean that. So on the same day, after thats clean I work on Wil's. So his tank is usually clean. And after his ick break out, I clean the decor in his tank also.
I remove about 25% of his water, sometimes a little more when the water is a more cloudy than what it usually is.
For the water conditoner it is AquaSafe by Tetra. I use it on both tanks. The PH level here where I live is at the highest, so I add some PH down to his tank.
I dont have a picture of his ick. Its all cleared up and gone. And I can try to get a picture of his fin rot, I think it has stooped. But Im not too sure, it looks like it has.

Haha, well thats good to know he finally wants to be social with me! He was very shy when I first got him!
Old 11-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #4 
Ouzinian

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/b...t%3DWil005.jpg

Its not clear or up close, but its as best as I can get.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #5 
Sakura8

Thanks for replying, Ouzinian. :)

Hmm. Wil might have gotten a bit of fin rot because the water probably should be changed just a little more. When you change Wil's tank, try taking out maybe 40% of the water. The extra clean water will work wonders for him. Ideally, the recommendation is to clean an unfiltered 2.5g twice a week, 1 50% and 1 100%. If you can swing that, great. If you can't, just be sure to take out more water during your weekly change.

How high is your ph? Almost every fish will adapt to whatever conditions you have so unless your pH is crazy high, like past 8.0, you don't need to mess with the pH levels. And even then, if your betta is acting okay, you don't need to change anything. My pH is 8.0 and all my bettas have adapted. It's better to have a stable pH level that may not be ideal than to have a level that fluctuates a lot.

For Wil's fin rot, just in case it hasn't stopped, be sure to keep the water as clean as possible. If you can, for the next two weeks or so at least, try to change the water in his tank twice a week. The cleaner the better because it minimizes the chance that the fin rot will return.

Most aquarium experts believe ick is always in the tanks but it only has outbreaks when the fish is stressed and their immune system and resistance to disease is compromised. If you keep the water cleaner and do more frequent or larger water changes per week, you most likely won't ever see an ick outbreak again.

Edit: Just got your photo post. It definitely does look like his fin rot has stopped. That's great news!

Last edited by Sakura8; 11-17-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #6 
Ouzinian

Alright, I shall keep that in mind. But I also got a small heater and a small filter for the tank. Would that require me to change the water just as much? I also think that he might of had fin rot when my friend got him, the containor that he came in was pretty dirty.
It looked like he wasnt fed and he was scared of everything, he wont even go towards a mirror, he runs and hides from it. Or if he see's it, he ducks under it, should that be something I should also worry about? I never known or seen a betta not flair up or run away from a mirror. I dont think its anything to worry about, but its just not normal to me and I rather know than have to worry.

The water here is at 8.0 also. So knowing that I wont add any more PH down to his tank.

Thanks for helping me, sometiems it seems like Im very new to having a Betta, but I have had one most of my life. haha
Old 11-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Since you've got a filter, the recommendation that a lot of people give changes to 25% and 50%. I would still recommend you change a little more than 25% at a time but it doesn't need to be as big as 40%. Somewhere in between. You just never want to take out over 50% because apparently it takes out a lot of the good bacteria too.

I think Wil just needs some adjustment time and before you know it, he'll blossom into a brave little guy. I've had a few shy ones but they've always become more social over time.

And I know what you mean. I never knew keeping a betta could be so complicated (or expensive). But it's worth it. They're such awesome fish. Don't worry, you're doing great. :)