Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2011, 09:54 PM   #1 
ManInBlack2010

scratched her head open?

so i come back from work this evening and Adalida has this scratch on her head above her right eye that wasn't there when i left for work at 2pm. (it's 9:30pm now) I really am not sure what she could have scratched it on. She does have 4 corries and a mystery snail for tank mates but i don't think they would have done that to her. Her tank was rearranged on sunday. I added this new cave decoration (a cracked pot type thing) and a new piece of drift wood that has finished soaking so it doesn't turn my water yellow. The drift wood doesnt' have any jagged edges and the pot has been in other betta tanks before and never had a problem... I also got a new filter this weekend because the one i had gave out on me. I got the whisper 3i and it has that down spout intake... i don't know if maybe she kinda got her head sucked into that or what... it's got a cover on it so she can't go up into the filter. She's still active and has a good appitite... just now i look over at her and i saw her stealing a whole tablet from the corry cats and running away with it in her mouth *facepalm* and this is after her eating 4 betta pellets.

She also has had stress stripes since i bought her from petsmart over a month ago... OFL said that it might be her camo, though

So besides the fact that i don't know where the scratch came from, what should i do to heal it? I right now do not have a hospital tank set up. i have a 1.5g betta bowl that i can set up and i have a heater for it. I know i can't do salt treatments or anything in my 10g because of my corries. i can pick up a small 3g tank tomorrow at petsmart but it will not have been able to run or cycle or anything.
filled this out for you too:

Housing
What size is your tank? 10g
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 4 corry catfish and 1 mystery snail (he can't get into any trouble right now seeing as he's floating at the top...)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikarri betta bio gold pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1x in the pm about 4 pellets

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 1x a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon Water conditioner and Stress Coat+

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
have not tested it

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? scratch on her head... probably the size of her eye
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? hasn't changed
When did you start noticing the symptoms? a few minutes ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? have not started treatment
Does your fish have any history of being ill? just the 'stress stripes' like i mentioned above
How old is your fish (approximately)? got her from petsmart a little over a month ago
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:15 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

I think she'll be ok so long as you keep the water clean.

You could isolate her to make keeping the water clean easier, but it might not be necessary.

I think it might be the driftwood if you haven't experienced any issues from the pot with other bettas. Maybe she wedged herself in somewhere and that's how it happened?
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #3 
ManInBlack2010

it's a possibility she got her head stuck in the driftwood... i guess i'll have to keep an eye on her and see if she does it again. i think i'm gonna up the water changes a bit till she's fully healed and refrain from moving her if possible... it's already :)
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote