Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2011, 11:13 PM   #1 
erinandares

Former Sorority Alpha...

So Harmonia was the alpha from my short lived sorority. She lives in the ten gallon space in my twenty gallon all alone, so I was wondering if since the sorority dissolved in violence- the little second girl decided to challenge her, and she didn't like it- I'm guessing it would be unwise to give her different tankmates?

If you think it's worth a try, are there any fish in particular that will escape her devious eye and remain unscathed? I know the general recommendations for a ten gallon with a betta. I just want to know if it's worth trying her out with tankmates or if I should just let her be. :3
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:05 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

Tank mates could still be a possibility for her if they were a calmer species that dwell near the bottom of the tank.

Corydoras tend to be a good tankmate since they prefer similar water temperatures and parameters as bettas. 4 or more is best since they feel a little insecure with less.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:48 AM   #3 
erinandares

That sounds fine. Thank you, Pat. :) I'll probably get the tiny ones (can't remember if it's called a pygmy or a dwarf with cories...).

I just realized/remembered, though, my substrate is a relatively large gravel. I'd guess probably a centimeter big, give or take a few smaller and larger ones. Will this be problematic since they're bottom dwellers?
Old 11-17-2011, 02:51 AM   #4 
Pataflafla

It's generally better to have finer substrate with cory cats since they're barbels are easily damaged. You could get shrimp, but they may end up as snacks instead.

I think they're called dwarf, but don't quote me on that.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:58 AM   #5 
erinandares

That's what I thought. Hmm. I almost bought a few snails before. I might just do snails. Might just do one snail that isn't hermaphroditic. I'm deathly terrified of having snail babies...

We don't have a large variety of shrimp around here. And yeah, I think Harmonia would eat them. :/ For her, everything tiny is food.