Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2011, 02:39 AM   #1 
Pataflafla

English Presentation Plan

So I'm going to be doing a presentation for my college English class in two weeks. I am for sure doing a power point using all the pictures that I've taken (So long as they're relevant), but I was thinking about bringing in both sizes of betta cups as well as possibly a betta or two.

I won't be passing them around by any means. I'll probably walk around and show them or have people come up and see them. I will be presenting with the first group of the class, so it should be relatively quick for them since I can have my sister come pick them up or have her waiting on site (preferable).

For transport, I'd be using a cardboard box packed with bubble wrap and a few warm hand towels to keep things warm and secure.

I wanted to bring in a few, namely Moonshoes and Iorek since they're calm and don't mind traveling or new faces, to truly show how they're kept in stores. Pictures tend to only show the distorted size, but bringing in those two would iterate how cramped a regular sized male is and how cramped a larger male is in the normal cup sizes. I can also tell everyone how long those two specific fish spent in those cups on the shelves (Had been watching them prior to buying them).

My presentation is on how much healthier a betta fish is when treated as the tropical species it is and with clean water. I think that bringing in a few, coupled with pictures of their first day out of the cup and the most recent picture I have of them, would make an incredible impact on informing the class of proper care for them.

Do you guys see anything wrong with bringing in a few bettas for less than an hour (an hour and half cup time tops)? they'll be warm and in the dark for the meantime, and properly acclimated back to their tanks upon arriving home.

This plan may not even go through since I'll be making the final decision the day of the presentation to make sure everyone is healthy if it's a yes. I know both Iorek and Moonshoes are very tolerable bettas (Iorek's tank was completely knocked off the bookshelf it was on and he was ready to eat as soon as he hit the water if that says anything about his priorities).
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:46 AM   #2 
Pataflafla

I know it'll be stressful, so I'll take steps to reduce stress as much as possible.

Here are the possible takers:
Name:  015 (5).jpg
Views: 116
Size:  47.0 KB
Name:  006 (12).jpg
Views: 116
Size:  64.9 KB

Iorek would be the most likely to come with me since he's very passive and doesn't care for much of anything except for food. And his presence, coupled with before and after pictures, would make the greatest impact since he was one of the most spectacular recoveries. I think it would be good for the class to see him in person so they could feel some sort of attachment to him as a living creature instead of just a photograph.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:19 AM   #3 
GreenTea

Anything who see's anything wrong with using bettas as part of an information presentation is nuts in my opinion! You're taking steps to insure their safety, people travel with them all the time/they survive shipping etc. I think they will be fine. Personally I just would bring in any bettas with chronic issues or who become sick easily which it sounds like you've considered. I mean if photos and/or video will do the job it doesn't sound necessary to bring them in, but I think if you do it might make it a better reality and they'll be fine :) Good luck on your presentation.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #4 
LittleBettas

NO
I think its a great idea, I know that when I do presentations about BSL (Breed Selective Legislation), Pitbulls/Bully breeds I bring in my pitbull Chai whenever possible, and when I do presentations on wildlife or reptiles I bring in Monty (m box turtle)

Just choose your calmest bettas who enjoy people I would also probably have a bit of tannis in the cup :)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

I'll see what I can do about the tannins since the best I can get a hold of here is decaf green tea.

I plan on keeping the box closed for darkness and to hold in warmth until I start my presentation. I'll open the box to let them adjust to the light before I take anyone out (mostly because Iorek looks like death when he's sleeping: pale body and eyes, sleeps on the bottom).

Thanks very much for your input. I just wanted to be sure I had all be bases covered way beforehand so getting things set up wouldn't be stressful for everyone.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:45 AM   #6 
Pataflafla

Today is the day of presentation.

I'll be leaving my house around 6:30- 6:45 tonight and staying until I am released (Or if there's absolutely nothing to do). I think I'll do the show and tell either before class starts or after today's presentations are done. I'll also talk to my sister about being ready to pick them up if call her.

Both Moonshoes and Iorek are still healthy (Moonshoes has even built a little bubble nest, but decided that it wasn't grand enough to continue on).

I'll be putting Iorek and Moonshoes in regular sized cups, and I'll bring the one Iorek was originally bought in to show how Walmart has downgraded on size. They will not have sight of each other while in the box just because I deem it a little too stressful for my liking. Once acclimated to light and not in the box, they can see each other a little bit, if only to try and display healthy betta behaviors like flaring.

I'm also going to be putting together a slideshow for my presentation to display the illnesses and recoveries I have experienced. If questions are asked I can give thorough details on how each treatment went and what medication was used.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #7 
Sena Hansler

That is a darn cool class if you can do that :o Mine wasn't so fun like that.... lol.

I think it is a great idea, and good luck!!

And I'm moving tomorrow... so I have to find out the best, warmest way to transport my guys and gals. People do it all the time :) And you have a good system.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:53 AM   #8 
Pataflafla

Since It's going to be a short time period, I think I'm either gonna go with some hot water in an empty cup (Wrapped in a wash cloth for safety) or a sandwich baggy of hot water (Also wrapped up).

I'll have a layer of bubblewrap around the interior of the box for added safety As well as filling everything I can in with either packing paper or wash clothes.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

good idea :) Sounds like you are set! lol
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #10 
Pataflafla

I'm hoping they'll be a hit with the class. They're pretty boys, so it shouldn't be too hard for them to woo some people over.

I think I'll go through my bank account and total all of the expenses on just Ratchet that I've done. I'm pretty sure it's well over $300 now with all the new heaters and whatnot.

I'll let everyone know how these two do tonight and will probably suggest this forum for anyone with questions concerning treatment for fish they might have.