Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #1 
tlyons01

Venting on Walmart Pet dept

I was browsing there today, hurriedly avoiding looking at the bettas, as I have 5 now and have a hard time seeing them suffering so I want to try and save them all, but I know I can't. Today my kids wanted to look at the fish, so I only went to the tank wall. To my surprise, there was a tank full of female bettas. Usually they are kept in cups too but by the sink area. As I watched them, I could see things were not well for them. They had one huge pleco and nothing else. 15 girls with no where to hide, being bullied, and could only huddle in the small corner or float along the top. There was a dominant girl that was harassing the others, as they do. I wanted to buy them all. They were so stressed out, it was awful to see. I have a 42 gallon that I could use as a sorority tank, but my group of corydoras have been breeding for 2 months now and I managed to raise 9 fry that are in there too. I worried about overstocking, since that makes 15 corys, 5 ottos, and 7 rasboras. UGH, I wish they would take better care into their fish. Most of them will probably not make it long enough to find new homes...

Such animal cruelty
tlyons01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:55 AM   #2 
BellasMomma

gosh that's suckie. I got all excited when I first started reading.. Like yay at least they have a nice big space.... But my gosh they all ARE going to die before they even had a chance.... Poor things... Does anyone know why someone doesn't step in and defend these fish... Like PETA or something...
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #3 
Indyfishy

PETA probably would not step in as their ultimate goal is to have no more pets. They want everything to be as it originally was before we started domesticating animals. Your best bet is to write a letter to the management, telling them why you were dis-satisfied with what you saw in their fish department, that they will lose you as a customer if they don't change, and that you're going to tell all your friends what you saw lol. Also, explain proper betta care and tell them that they can't females together safely in that set-up, and that they are likely to lose alot of money from dead fish. A few extra cups doesn't cost them that much.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #4 
erinandares

Actually, I went and inquired about getting some sort of discount when I bought Spiridion a while back since his fins were practically falling off from rot. But the girl told me they don't give discounted fish because they still get credit from the dead fish.

I don't know if that goes for all Wal Marts, but I know mine still gets the credit from the breeder or whatever and they don't lose any money on dead fish. That really sucks. I just bought him anyway, and I'm glad I did because he's beautiful now!
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #5 
Indyfishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinandares View Post
Actually, I went and inquired about getting some sort of discount when I bought Spiridion a while back since his fins were practically falling off from rot. But the girl told me they don't give discounted fish because they still get credit from the dead fish.

I don't know if that goes for all Wal Marts, but I know mine still gets the credit from the breeder or whatever and they don't lose any money on dead fish. That really sucks. I just bought him anyway, and I'm glad I did because he's beautiful now!
Whaaaaat?! Dangit, well then just tell them that they are being big meanies XD
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #6 
erinandares

I know! I was shocked. I just don't see how any breeder can just be like "Oh, you killed my fish with fin rot? Bloating from SBD? Dirty ammonia water? Here, let me give you some more." >.>

I don't know, I understand that they need to get the fish off their hands, but still... Wal Mart? Sigh.
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:44 PM   #7 
BellasMomma

freakin walmart man... they could lose all the betta lovers in the world and they would still be one of the number one companies... heck probably all the fish lovers in the world... walmart is a monster!
BellasMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #8 
tlyons01

I know, I was just as appalled as I was a few months ago when they had a shipment of what looked like nearly 100 betta cups. All on an end cap shelf, from top to bottom, nothing but bettas. Sad to say that I saw many of them dead in their cups. I can't imagine how they thought they would sell that many before some started dying off. Crazy stupid walmart... I wish there was a way to get them where it hurts, but they are such a big company I bet nothing would hurt them... Stupid walmart
tlyons01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlyons01 View Post
I was browsing there today, hurriedly avoiding looking at the bettas, as I have 5 now and have a hard time seeing them suffering so I want to try and save them all, but I know I can't. Today my kids wanted to look at the fish, so I only went to the tank wall. To my surprise, there was a tank full of female bettas. Usually they are kept in cups too but by the sink area. As I watched them, I could see things were not well for them. They had one huge pleco and nothing else. 15 girls with no where to hide, being bullied, and could only huddle in the small corner or float along the top. There was a dominant girl that was harassing the others, as they do. I wanted to buy them all. They were so stressed out, it was awful to see. I have a 42 gallon that I could use as a sorority tank, but my group of corydoras have been breeding for 2 months now and I managed to raise 9 fry that are in there too. I worried about overstocking, since that makes 15 corys, 5 ottos, and 7 rasboras. UGH, I wish they would take better care into their fish. Most of them will probably not make it long enough to find new homes...

Such animal cruelty
That's how I ended up with my sorority. I had to leave 4 girls behind, but I am happy in the knowledge that of them are now living it up in my 16 gallon. If I'd have been in possession of a larger tank, all 10 would have come home with me. I'd have been $80 poorer, but it would have been worth it for the joy I've got from my girls. Also, it's ridiculous that they price females that high when nobody seems to buy them, the shops don't want them and the employees never try to sell them because they are "ugly".
Then again, if they'd have been cheaper I may have said, "Damn the consequences" and bought all ten anyway.

Not to be an enabler, but...even with your current stocking, 15 females would only slightly overstock you. With one 50% change a week, you'd still be sweet.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:44 PM   #10 
Bambi

Yeah, walmart won't discount or adopt out fish. When i found a male with a huge hole(what appeared to be a bite from a rather large fish) in his side that was barly breathing and such they refused to make any compromise or mark him dead. the lady simply laughed and informed me the fish would be flushed as soon as the guy who works the fish area came back.

I happened to have enough on me to buy the crowntail and i brought him home and did what i could to help him, but he was gone by the next night so i returned his dead body for a refund. :/

As for what kinda of breeder would do that? One who breeds mass quantities just for the money. It's often how they make a living, so i understand it in a way.
And it's really sad. I've seen some GORGOUSE females at my walmart,though rarely. a blue lace was there not long ago i wanted to buy and bring home. but any fish/snail/plant i get from walmart dies within a couple weeks.
And it's not my water conditions because i have bettas that have lived for years with me as well as a pair from petsmart i've had fora few months now.

Last edited by Bambi; 11-11-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote