Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #1 
Super Sly

Corys

Ok so I've talked alot recently about getting some new tanks. The 55 was gonna cost too much for me so instead i got a 10g and devided it for my boys. I was wonder would 2 or 3 corydoras in each side work out? I heard they were best in sets of 6 or more but 6 to each side would be insane
Super Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #2 
GreenTea

No, cories are quite active fish and besides 5 gallons not really being enough water (or just barely), it's not enough space in the bottom for them to swim and school. And like you mentioned already, you don't have the space for a proper school, so all in all I think just your bettas on each side is the best thing to do.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #3 
Super Sly

ok that stinks lol what kinda snails would be good? Im just wanting at least one tank mate for the new tank...
Old 11-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #4 
GreenTea

Is your tank filtered? And no it doesnt stink..think of it this way, if you would have done it, your fish would have been stressed and cramped, leading to problems. You just saved yourself some money and problems :)

I love apple snails for their look, but a lot of people don't like them because they're "messy" IE poop a lot! If your tank is filtered and/or you do regular water changes its not really a problem. Just make sure you don't get pest snails...they multiply fast. Or you could get a pest snail and then get an assassin snail! Assassin snails just kill pest snails and eat them. Pretty boss if you ask me!
Old 11-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #5 
Super Sly

yes my tank is filtered and how big do apple snails usually get?
Old 11-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Apple snails generally do not grow super fast - but they can get big. I've seen ones here that are labeled as "giant" apple snails - which are the full grown ones. I had one who was 1/4 my palm (there are smaller ones) and I had him for quite a few months before my female betta murdered him -.-;;

The giant apple snails are larger than my hand... That gives you a general clue how big they can get. But like I said, they are not super fast growing. And on the upside they cannot reproduce without a partner. But, apple snails are one of the messiest snails.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #7 
Super Sly

So would one snail to each side be okay and if they get too big just rehouse them in something else? Also this may sound ignorant but do I have to feed the snails my tank is new and therefore has no algae or anything...
Old 11-17-2011, 08:17 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

They eat left over food. Sometimes bettas dont allow that. You can use algae wafers apparently they work. Go with mystey snails - rather than apple snails.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #9 
GreenTea

Apple snails and mystery snails are the same thing. Do research on freshwater snails and pick what's best for you!

No one snail would not be too much to each side, but my apple snails do best in my coldwater freshwater tank as opposed to warm water. Because betta tanks usually don't have algae there isn't a lot for snails to eat usually. It might be best to leave the tank bare and just not worry about a snail or anything.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

They are the same thing?? O.o i was always told apple snails give more waste then mystery D: