Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #1 
ArcticRain

How much would you pay for a used aquarium?

First, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place! I didn't know where it should go so I just put it here.
Note: I am not trying to advertise that this tank is for sale, I just want some opinions on how much I should sell it for! This tank is NOT for sale to the users of bettafish.com!! I just want to make that clear.

I have a empty 2.5 gallon Aqueon Mini Bow that I would like to sell so I can upgrade my other fish to a 5 gallon. Here is the list of everything the tank comes with...

2.5 gallon Mini Bow Tank with divider.
Hang on filter with one filter cartridge.
Hood with incandescent light.
It comes in the box I bought it in and comes with the instruction manual.
It comes already cleaned and comes with a sample of Aqueon Betta Bowl Conditioner.
I am also throwing in One net and an Algea scrubber.

I have only had it for 4 months and it is in great condition!
All in all I think this is a great deal!! But I will not sell it unless I get enough money to upgrade my other Bettas tank.

Again this is NOT FOR SALE to the users of bettafish.com. I am going to sell it locally if I sell it at all.
How much would you pay for this tank setup?
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #2 
Indyfishy

Since it's used I'd say around $10 would be a fair price, but if it were me I would just keep it just in case I ever needed a backup or a quarantine tank =)
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #3 
ArcticRain

Well, I would keep it as a QT but my mom will only let me upgrade if i sell this tank... And Mr. Plum (other betta) really wants an upgrade.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:48 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

I've bought my 10gs for $15-30 with everything included (I have 3) so you may not get too much for it. Also here in Canada, tanks are so much more expensive. I usually say take the cost new, divide by half and then adjust the price as per the condition of everything included based on how long you've owned it.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #5 
ArcticRain

Well, that's depressing..... I payed like $40 for the tank itself... I was really hoping I would get more then $10-15 dollars. But, I guess its my fault for not buying the 5g in the first place.

Last edited by ArcticRain; 11-17-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

Honestly, ask for more than you hope to get so someone can haggle you and think they are getting a deal. Meanwhile, you get the money you were looking for :) I'd ask $25, settle for $15 if you have to :)
Old 11-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #7 
ArcticRain

Thank you! I will have to do that! Hopefully I will get enough to cover the cost of a new tank... Do you think if I sold some decorations with it I could get more money?

Last edited by ArcticRain; 11-17-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I've bought my 10gs for $15-30 with everything included (I have 3) so you may not get too much for it. Also here in Canada, tanks are so much more expensive. I usually say take the cost new, divide by half and then adjust the price as per the condition of everything included based on how long you've owned it.
I agree on how much more expensive it is here... there are 50 gallons for 300 dollars O_O But I got my 20 for 60 (used) and it's the 80's-90's style And I agree with the divide by half... If I were looking at a new 2.5, and a used 2.5, if the used one was at least half I'd take it if I wanted it.
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #9 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRain View Post
Thank you! I will have to do that! Hopefully I will get enough to cover the cost of a new tank... Do you think if I sold some decorations with it I could get more money?
I'm not sure. Myself, I wouldn't pay more for a tank because it has decorations. Usually I don't want decorations or fish because I like to pick my own stuff. But someone else who may want a new tank and has nothing at home would appreciate it!

Usually when you sell something to upgrade, you should always be prepared to foot a little of the bill. When I upgrade my tanks, I usually only get about 40% of the bigger tanks cost, I have to spend the rest out of pocket. And that's with second hand tanks LOL 5g tanks here are $40 for the tank alone :)
Old 11-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #10 
Silverfang

I love used aquariums. That being said I do look for the best deals.
Just to put it into perspective, I got a 33gal tank with stand and all accessories for 150. I bought a 10gal with everything for 25. I used an online ad sight, sorta like craigslist. Just watch what other people charge there to get a fair idea.

Having said that I wouldn't expect to get much more than 10 or 15 unless it comes with a heater.

Tanks are really expensive here for the most, but with the new petsmart here you can fins some basic tanks for decent prices (not kits of course).
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote