Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #1 
PSUPride923

Betta on the move!

Okay all, I'm in a little bit of a pickle. Thanksgiving Break starts tomorrow! I don't want to leave my wittle baby Triton over break without food. So 2 weekends ago I bought a small 1 gallon tank to take home so I wouldn't have to completely tear down my 10 gallon tank he is currently in. I took the tank home last weekend and set it up and it has been running good. My only questions is really how do I go about transporting Triton to-and-from? I live a short distance from my college, maybe a 40 minute trip on a bad day. Suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!
PSUPride923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

You can put him in a bag, tied off with an elastic... which is how bettas usually arrive to pet stores. You can put him in a bucket (I did this once) but it does slosh a bit. You can try having him in a cup with a lid (like seen in the pet stores)...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #3 
LittleBettas

I transport inthe oridinial betta cups, I have an igloo specifically for bettas with cup holders wedged in securly (like the kind you get at Mcds) this has worked perfect for me and its a dark warm place, I alsoadd tannis to cups along with an oak leaf for transportation
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #4 
PSUPride923

we had saved the container we purchased him in (from PETCo with the white lid and hole on top), that should do the trick, right? should we put some of the water he is now in his temporary tank? or just all new water?
PSUPride923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Yes, use the water he is in right now... That'll cause less stress :) New water and moving can be double the stress to some bettas. I should know. I owned a drama queen
Old 11-19-2011, 01:30 AM   #6 
Mars788

Kinda going off this, since I have a kinda related 'dillema'. I'm moving Dol for Thanksgiving Break to a slightly smaller 'carrier' tank, with a lid to protect him from the feline members of the family.
Alright, got that I should keep as much of his 'regular' water as possible, to prevent stress. Would it be easier on to move him in the mini-tank, or to keep him in his cup (from the store) until I get home? Any advice would be much appreciated :)
Mars788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars788 View Post
Kinda going off this, since I have a kinda related 'dillema'. I'm moving Dol for Thanksgiving Break to a slightly smaller 'carrier' tank, with a lid to protect him from the feline members of the family.
Alright, got that I should keep as much of his 'regular' water as possible, to prevent stress. Would it be easier on to move him in the mini-tank, or to keep him in his cup (from the store) until I get home? Any advice would be much appreciated :)
You could - also depends on your betta :) I had a black and red male who went sickly grey brown when he was moved - so he rarely was. A few of my males freak out in small spaces, so I rarely put them in cups when moving. Then my mellow "meh I dont mind" boys can be in cups... So depends, does he mind being moved?