Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2011, 07:38 PM   #11 
Myates

It sounds good; Oldfishlady has you covered here.
The only thing I want to add is that it's best to use tap water with water conditioner, rather then bottled/spring/distilled water as they tend to lose the minerals/nutrients needed during the filtration process. Tap water with the proper conditioner will remove the harmfuls and keep in what is needed/best for them.

Good luck with Oliver, keep us updated.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:36 PM   #12 
OliverTheBetta

Oliver is home. I emptied the 1/2 gallon tank a little bit and drove him home wrapped with my coat to preserve the heat in the tank. The temp was 72 when we got home.

As soon as I got home, I added Prime to my 2.5gal tank, stirred it up and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then at 20 minute intervals, I added only a shot-glass-full of that dechlorinated, Prime-d, heated to 78-degree tap water to his 1/2 gallon tank (now "the holding tank") until it was full. The temp inside rose to 76 eventually.

I decided to leave him in the holding tank and see where we are at in the morning. He is wrapped in a dark towel to preserve the heat as best as possible with a small opening to permit some light. The house is dark as we are about to go to bed. His fins are still somewhat in a closed position and he's in the corner at the top of the tank. He appears to be resting. I don't know what else to call it...

I don't know what else to do for the poor little guy. He was so beautiful and showy... he just loved to swim around and show his colors... fins full and flowing (but not flaring).

I guess it's just a waiting game now?
OliverTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:43 AM   #13 
OliverTheBetta

Here's a picture (I hope) of Oliver this evening.

grrrrrr...
How do I get a picture on here?
Old 11-19-2011, 12:51 AM   #14 
OliverTheBetta

Last edited by OliverTheBetta; 11-19-2011 at 12:54 AM. Reason: trying to upload a photo
Old 11-19-2011, 01:06 AM   #15 
OliverTheBetta

Thanks to pitluvs, I can finally show you a picture of Oliver...

Name:  P1010050.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  40.0 KB
He is just "resting" in his holding tank. I thought it best to keep him there at least over night. Maybe he will be back to his usual self in the morning. I think he just got too cold in my office building overnight. The water temp was down to 64 degrees! That's why I brought him home in the first place. He's not as 'full' in the fins as he was before he got so cold...

Name:  P1010054.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  33.2 KB
This picture makes him look more red than he actually is. I am not a great picture taker to begin with, and then there's the stress factor that I'm dealing with right now worrying about the poor little bugger! Who knew I could get so attached so quickly! But again you can see that his fins are closed down.

We'll see how he is in the morning...
I've got to get to bed... I keep checking in on him...

Last edited by OliverTheBetta; 11-19-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:40 AM   #16 
OliverTheBetta

Dang it. Oliver is worse this morning. He tried to eat, but spit everything back out (flakes & pellets). He looks so sad. I added three drops of Prime to his 1/2 gallon tank this morning. I don't know what else to do but wait and see.

Is changing the water safe to do with him in this condition?
Old 11-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #17 
OliverTheBetta

Well, I just typed a big, long entry and *poof* it's gone... ???

I'll try it again.

Oliver's condition has not changed. I have him on the heating pad to keep his temps around 76-78 and it's quiet there.

I was feeling down and went to the Petsmart store and did something I thought I would never do.....

I bought 5 Bettas. I think I've lost my mind.

One blue-ish green male. He is a little turquoise, but I can't really tell in the blue water. He's pretty though. A couple of people tried to snatch him up when I was looking through them all.

2 male reds. One is pretty solid, the other has a lighter body.

1 male, crown tail with an irredescent body and blue fins, smaller - maybe still a baby?

1 male, crown tail mostly a pretty blue.

I could've brought more home, but I don't have the space. I'll post pictures when I get them into their new homes.

If this fails, I'm quitting!

Last edited by OliverTheBetta; 11-19-2011 at 02:41 PM. Reason: text dissappeared......
Old 11-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #18 
OliverTheBetta

I moved Oliver to a holding cup and added a couple of drops of the Prime to the water at the same time. He is doing about the same. He seems interested in food, but doesn't seem to be swallowing it. I tried one pellet and he "smelled" it and backed off, so I added a couple of flakes and he seemed to take them in.

What is "clamping"? Why do they do it? And what causes it? Most important, how to cure/fix it??

He doesn't seem any worse off this evening than he was this morning and after bringing home others, my DH said, "They'll probably all end up surviving!" and I said, "I can live with that!"

4 of the 5 new ones are in their tanks this evening. I had to go get another 1/2 gallon for the 5th one and he's in transition mode now. Probably in the morning I'll move him into the tank.

I'll get pictures put up tomorrow and work on giving them names.