Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #11 
AyalaCookiejar

Someone posted a link once to all the microorganisms you may encounter in a fish tank. Unfortunately, I do not know where the link is. However, I did read through the link and can tell you that probably more than 90% of them are completely harmless unless you have fry.

They are probably annoying, though. Maybe I could find that link... I think the thread was old and it had the word "bugs" in the title.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #12 
bckelsch9

Ya they've never bothered the fish, but I can't stand them. Plus having to replace sponges all the time because they don't clean out of them is rediculous. I don't think they are what everyone else thinks they are, or they wouldn't be turning into small green flies.
bckelsch9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #13 
AyalaCookiejar

Oh, I found the post.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiiQue View Post
Hard to say without pics...

Take a look at this link to see if any of these could be what you are seeing: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...-your-aquarium
This gives pictures and quite a bit of info as well..

Edit: also has pictures of larvae, which is probably what they are if they are hatching into bugs.

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 01-16-2013 at 06:26 PM.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #14 
bckelsch9

Nope nothing like those. The flies look like fruit flies, but green.
bckelsch9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #15 
tlyons01

Wow this is an old thread resurrected! This was by far the only time I experienced them, and I know exactly what green flying things you are talking about. I have never seen how long they live or where they go but I have seen one hatch on the surface of the water. It was wicked, but I don't really like bugs, so icky at the same time. The brown things in my filters, well I was able to rid myself of them by doing more thorough cleaning of the substrate and as I got them building up in my sponges, I cleaned those out as well. I did notice if you let your sponge soak in water, they would come out. I was really freaked out when all of this was going on, but nothing was affected by their presence. I no longer have these in my filter media, though I occasionally do see some in the filters at the store where I work part time. I just chalked it up to I wasn't cleaning well enough and when I started doing a better job, and feeding the tank less, they went away... Hope that helps.

PS.
I always see these little tiny bugs jumping around on the surface of the water on every tank I have. No idea what that is, but it is annoying just as much. I was told I should take it as a compliment, since they do not inhabit bad tanks
tlyons01 is offline   Reply With Quote