Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #1 
Rosso1011

Proper pH - Hard water issue

I've been reading about this product that is supposed to help bring water to a stable pH. This is something that would be very useful to me since I have hard water in my apartment and it is a nightmare to balance during water changes.

I understand I would have to use a minimal amount of this product, but the mixed reviews have got me wondering. Is this the best way or is there a better way? I do know that the pH of our tap water is way too high for most fish.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

My pH is high, it's 8ppm (almost dark blue on a test) and my fish are all fine with it (betta and tropicals).

One thing I have to say is a stable high pH is better than a fluctuating pH that you may achieve with a pH stabilizer. All it takes it one water change where the pH didn't lower well enough and you have some upset or sick fish :(
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #3 
Rosso1011

I check my pH (unfortunately multiple times) before putting him back in his tank. It can sometimes take a while to get the balance right, but I know that I am putting him back into water that is around the same pH equivalency as before.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #4 
Rosso1011

I also have another tank that has tetras and cory doras, so this might be useful for their tank, but not necessarily ideal for a small betta tank?
Old 11-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

I can't help you there. All I know is from day one (years ago) I was always told a stable pH is better than a fluctuating one. Usually pH only effects breeding of fish, but they can adapt to higher pH levels. As for advice on using it? I don't know. Never spent a cent on the stuff.

What is your pH?
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #6 
Rosso1011

You may be right on stable water pH being better for them, but I cannot simply move him from water that is at 7 to water that may be around an 8. I have to consider something for his next water and I need to think about what the best option is.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I agree with Pitluvs.....a stable pH is much safer-changing/lowering the pH with chemical additive usually will result in rebound unless you have proper buffers...To change/lower the pH and hardness (two different things) you need to know more than the pH of the water-you need to know the KH/GH too and you will need liquid reagent test kits for all 3 for more accurate results to safely change both the pH and hardness of the water in the tank and for the water used for water changes-this is often easier and safer if you use R/O or DI water either mixed with the tap water or add the needed minerals back to the water.

Since this species and a lot of other species of tropical fish have been farm raised in water that is much different than the native habitat they can tolerate and adapt to most source water used to keep them, however, some species for breeding only may need the water hardness and pH changed-but not to successfully keep most species.

The Bettas we keep are domesticated and actually do better in the harder/higher pH water generally.....this is a pretty tough species to start with and will adapt...but the extreme/sudden chemistry changes can be deadly and often end badly......

Then you have water change issue-often this species is kept in smaller containers that need frequent water changes-this can be a hassle and dangerous in some case if you have an emergency and don't have any premixed water ready for a water change...its safest to allow them to adapt to your source water chemistry...

The best way to get him changed back to your source water chemistry now....make frequent small volume water changes using your dechlorinated like temp source water over the next few days.......

What kind of test products are you using....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #8 
BETTACHKALOVE

Prime by Seachem is recommended by the forum for hard water. I saw someone wrote on the forum that bettas are adapted really well to pH and hardness of water... Prime is concentrated and only requires 2 drops per gallon. Most hobbyists on this board really recommending to use it.

Sorry Oldfishlady i put my thread the same time with you i didn't see yours :)
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #9 
Rosso1011

OFL. Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. So far, I have just been testing for pH balance. If I need to test everything else, I will. My only issue is, with this being a 1 gal. tank, how exactly do I do these small water changes? I have thought about a bigger tank, but need to find one that matches what we both need.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Tell us more about the tank as far as-filter, live plants, additives used, how much and how often are the water changes, how long has it been setup and how long have you had the Betta and has he ever been sick and/or treated, appetite and any tankmates....

What kind of testing product are you using and what is the pH of both the tank and the source water-source water we need two test-draw a clean glass of your source water don't add anything to it....test the pH now and again in 24h this will give a more accurate pH reading of the source water. Do both high and low pH on all 3 test...

In a 1gal unfiltered/without live plants (this is fine to keep a single Betta in long term IMO/E) provided that proper water changes are made.......that being...twice weekly...1-50% and 1-100%....if filtered or live rooted plants-twice weekly 50%....to maintain water quality....

I would use a clean plastic cup and dip 2-to-3 cups out and replace with like temp dechlorinated water from your tap...depending on what your tank water pH and source water pH are at right now will determine how frequently....so we need the numbers...when is your next regular schedule water change due...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote