Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #1 
kitkatbar

Substrate Question

Is substrate necessary? If so, why? What does it do?

I have just kind of small-ish decorative stones in the bottom of my betta's tank.

Thanks!
kitkatbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:11 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

I had glass rocks in the bottom of mine a while ago, I moved back to gravel and sand though. Usually it's to provide a realistic environment, to look pleasing to the eye and a place for bacteria to grow in your tank (the good kind!). It also helps to anchor down plants.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #3 
SmokeNLark

Nope, not necessary. In a cycled tank it is because it gives bacteria a place to grow. And it is needed to anchor live plants. Other than that, it's just a matter of aesthetics and ease of cleaning. Bare-bottomed tanks are easier to clean, but to me, don't look as nice.

Just make sure if you have decorative stone that they are not large enough to form big enough holes that your betta could get his head stuck in. They love trying to get through openings they can't get through. I lost a betta to that once :(
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #4 
kitkatbar

Thanks! Yes I had some bigger rocks in there and i accidentally had 2 of them too close together and my Sidonie lodged in between the two! He didn't get too stuck thankfully and got out right away. I took the bigger rocks all out and just decorated the outside of the tank with them. Now there are just small stones to cover the bottom =)

Okay well thank you for the answers. I was just hoping that gravel wasnt something really important to their well-being or something...
kitkatbar is offline   Reply With Quote