Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #1 
SmeathysBettas

SmeathysBettas spawn log!

Hi everyone! I'd like to introduce myself - I'm Heather - but you can call me Smeathy (sm-eh-th-ie).

I'm not new to betta-keeping, but I am new to breeding bettas. This will be my first time! Oh boy oh boy!!

I've got a buyer all set up and ready to go... so now comes the fun part!
I'm busy getting all my supplies together and picking a pair. I'm having a hard time there, so maybe you all can help?

I'll list my bettas (and post pics later!) so you can have a better idea...

Males being considered -
HM, black/red/gray
HMPK, white/gray
DT, cello/marble

Females being considered -
CT, strawberry
VT, multi/pink/aqua/blue

My goal is to make a different (rather, uncommon) looking offspring, like feathertail or combtail or some kind of DT mix. I may just try my VTs. I don't know!
My buyer wants the babies, no matter what the finnage outcome. But I still want to make a good choice and have healthy fish.

Any advice as far as which pair/combo I should go with?
TY in advance!!
SmeathysBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:05 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum......it sounds like you have a plan......although a lot of folks discourage mixing tail/fin types..I am not one of them.....my view on breeding is creating...unless you want to show-then you need to join IBC...that another story....lol.....anyway, good that you have a goal and a buyer...often this is the hard part...finding homes.....I have found that I sell more of my unique Bettas than the type that breed more true or more known like the HM....more common hobbyist that want something special than something that everyone has.....this has been my experience.....I can't breed mine fast enough to keep up with demand.....granted I do breed other species of fish, inverts and plants along with the Bettas and all this pays for my hobby....so all is good...lol.....

But...it has taken me years, lots of hard work and even more time to get the unique Bettas that people want......good thing I am retired.....lol.....with that in mind.....you may not reach your goal with your first spawn....but by having a goal.....your half way.....I am sure you already know all this from all the research you have already done to get ready for this project....its not for the faint of heart and with this type of project you have to cull really hard in the beginning...
And most important....have fun....thats what its all about.....

What supplies do you have on hand, what do you still need, how much can you spend and how much time can you invest

What spawning method do you plan to use, what is the fry feeding plan, adult conditioning plan and how do you plan to cull...

Lots of ways to successfully spawn and rear fry...its finding what works for you, the breeders and what you have on hand.....often this can change from spawn to spawn...they do like to keep us on our toes....lol.....

You may already plan to do this-but thought I would mention it.....when creating your own unique line......use a log book-paper and computer and take pic to document everything....good documentation is a must..
Write up your goal with short and long term goals-complete with actions, interventions, expectation/dates-outcomes-results

Look forward to following your spawn logs.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #3 
SmeathysBettas

Thanks for your reply, OFL

I am still getting the last of my supplies together. Just ordered some IAL and 90% BBS eggs (gotta set up a hatchery still). I need a few more jars/single containers... but other than that, I'm good to go!
I've set out a budget, so money is not really an issue. I'm not doing it for the profit either... goodness knows I'm not going to breakeven anyway, lol... I'm not worried about it. I just want to enjoy the experience
Time is not a worry either. I'll just have to put down my knitting needles for a few months! Heheh

I'm feeling pretty confident about this... for now! lol
I was nervous about having to cull... but I think I'm ok with it... I mean... as ok as I can be!! I've read that you can remove some of the eggs/nest in order to avoid a lot of culling. Buuuuut the father may eat the remaining eggies. Siiigh. Maybe it's a matter of preference, or a roll of the dice.
I'll worry about it when I get there.

First things first - I've still got to make my mind up about what pair to use
Old 11-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Hi and Welcome to the forum.

IMO HM/HMPK x VT won't create anything new - just a bunch of RT and dT. You can try the HMPK x CT and eventually create CTPK .... something you don't often find (I think). This will be more interesting if you add DT to the line..... DTCTPK - uncommon.
Not sure how the feather tails work though.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #5 
PitGurl

As far as your pair goes you need to think about genetics some. Long fins are dominate over short. DT is recessive. Breeding CT to anything but another CT isn't recommended because it produces messy fins. Feather tails are nice to look at but breeding them can result in some issues. Depending on your goals you'll probably have to breed a few generations to get what you want. There are a few good sites that explain genetics in more depth.

I would suggest getting a female HM or PK to breed to your males. Check the classifed adds on here there may be some females for sale.

Good luck with whatever direction you decided to go .
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Spawning and rearing your own Bettas from eggs to adults can be so rewarding and fun.....even with a failure here or there...it happens.....you just keep tryin....lol....

As far as removing eggs...personally I don't like to cull that way....I want as many as possible in the beginning-let natural selection happen-then cull from that point.....another tank with cichilds are good for this-but several good methods for young fry...some I may not cull until they are 6-8 weeks old-some older.....this varies on my goal and why I am culling that Betta.....I cull all deformities and luckily over the past few years that has decreased-but I do work with doubletails...so I do still get some...maybe 10% or less....since I have a buyer for all that I can create I no longer need to cull form and color like I once did.....

Feather tails-I want to say you need rosetail and as beautiful as they are-they can have some major issues themselves...not sure if the feather tails does too.....

I would practice with the BBS to make sure your source water can hatch them if you have never hatched BBS-but I wouldn't hatch any for fry food until you have fry ready to feed...once the BBs absorb their yolk sac they have very little nutrition for young Betta fry-poor nutrition-especially lack of HUFA you can see sudden death in young fry-but if you add another live food usually its a non-issue or supplement the BBS with HUFA once they molt and absorb the yolk sac.....

Another big cause of mass fry loss is too cool/dry air over the water when they develop their labyrinth organ and go for that first breath of air at the surface (2-4weeks)...important for it to be warm and humid...I use plastic veggie wrap over the top of the tank for this-but anything will work...

And I am sure you already understand and know about the importance of water quality and stable chemistry....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #7 
Curlyfatbottom

Seem like u have a project in mind...
I'll say go with it...
If your doing it for the long run...
I suggest u get your hand on some live culture...
The price on food will add up very quickie if u more then on batch going at the same time....
Bbs is really a pain in the but for me...
When I breed more then one pair at a time...
Just think about this...
If u have 1 fry or 200 fry...
It still take the same amount of time to hatch Bbs....
It's just take much time and the Bbs don't live that long in water....
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:11 AM   #8 
floridiansx

i second oldfishlady's words, let nature takes its course and just let the fish do what nature intended. plus the eggs and frys are fragile and new breeder, just let them be and learn. i'm breeding giants at the moment, i want to see a foot long betta. maybe in the next 20 years there will be one.

Last edited by floridiansx; 11-09-2011 at 01:17 AM. Reason: adding more
floridiansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #9 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Good luck with the spawn!!
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:14 AM   #10 
SmeathysBettas

Update time! It's been a few days since I've posted... nothing much to say about the actual spawn log, other than I'm probably going to go with my VT couple. I know, I know... but this IS my first spawn. My buyer sells the most VTs in his shop, and finding them homes is my biggest concern. I'll try for something different next go-round.
Now... I'm battling a bit of ich in my female tank. I've been so consumed with water changes and whatnot, that conditioning is on the backburner. They are looking better, but it seems their fins are 'crumbling'. I've been lucky to always have quality, healthy bettas, so overcoming this is proving to be a challenge for me. :-/
I'll keep at the WCs and report back. And thanks everyone for posting and reading my newbie-spwan-log! <3