Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #1 
BunnyCates

Quick pricing question

Hi!
Someone is offering me a 35 gallon hexagon tank. No stand or accessories. Tank and hood only. Their price they said "What will you give me for it". So my question is what would be a good offer? I want to get it for as cheap as I can of course especially since it comes with NOTHING...

And also: how expensive are the basics going to be for this shape/size aquarium? I would want a filter, heater, and what ever else I needed for a happy fish!

Would getting this tank even be worth it - if all the accessories are going to be too high - I can just go with a smaller tank. My f.i.l. has a 15 gallon rectangle one, but its in storage and has been for 10 years so it will need to be CLEANED and then all new items bought for it too.

I would love the hexagon one, it will fit right in the corner in here. But if the rectangle is going to be more affordable

anyway...
sorry I ramble on.
Ideas on how much I should offer for the hexagon one?
abt how much are the basic setup stuff going to run me?

Any opinions/info appreciated - this is NEW TERRITORY for me!

Thanks!
~Bunny
BunnyCates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #2 
Myates

I would offer $25-35 for the hex. Unsure the stand, as stands can get pricey, upwards of a $100 easily for the heavy wooden ones. A heater and filter probably will cost you roughly $40 would be my guess.. unsure how much filters are going for these days.
Decorations depends on what you are looking for, but expect to spend roughly $30+ for them, regardless which tank you choose.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #3 
BunnyCates

Thanks for replying! I was thinking of offering $30-40 since it doesn't have a filter or anything. So I was in the right range, yay!

If I get this, when looking for filter do I need to be looking for a filter that says for a hexagon tank or will it just say filter? And also, I thought a filter went under the rocks so you didn't have to clean your tank that often, but my husband the filter would be at the top hanging under the hood?

Is there like an "Idiot's Guide to Owning Fish" somewhere? I have never had an aquarium with "stuff" before, only these little bowls - so I am lost.

Dont even have one yet and already feeling overwhelmed a little.

Thanks for all your help,
Bunny
Old 11-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #4 
bastage

So its not a hex, but I actually just bought a 37 gallon tank yesterday. I spent 80 on a 37 tall with stand, penguin filter, lighting a water changer & quite a few decorations. So in comparison I think 40 would be absolute tops for a tank of that size without a stand. As for a filter I dont think undergravel is typically recommended for betta's. Plus with undergravel you cant have sand. But about 20 bucks for a decent filter. Also you can get a 300w elite heater for less then 15 bucks from amazon.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #5 
BunnyCates

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastage View Post
So its not a hex, but I actually just bought a 37 gallon tank yesterday. I spent 80 on a 37 tall with stand, penguin filter, lighting a water changer & quite a few decorations. So in comparison I think 40 would be absolute tops for a tank of that size without a stand. As for a filter I dont think undergravel is typically recommended for betta's. Plus with undergravel you cant have sand. But about 20 bucks for a decent filter. Also you can get a 300w elite heater for less then 15 bucks from amazon.
Are you putting sand in yours? Like just regular sand? I am so confused.
I have these "instant aquarium" in my wishlist on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AEL917WTFL8PV

My bowls right now just have little multicolored pastel rocks in them.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:17 AM   #6 
BettaBuddy101

Don't know how well it will work, but it looks nice anyway. I'd definitely still recommend a fishless cycle beforehand just to make sure
BettaBuddy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:41 AM   #7 
BunnyCates

I offered the guy $40 on the aquarium. $45 if he can find the light for the hood and some kind of paperwork that told who the manufacturer is, etc. Still waiting for an answer. Meanwhile I am shopping/wishlisting things on Amazon. LOL
Old 11-19-2011, 05:25 AM   #8 
BettaBuddy101

What are you planning to put the tank on? I'd guess that size of tank will weigh a lot...
BettaBuddy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:33 AM   #9 
BunnyCates

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBuddy101 View Post
What are you planning to put the tank on? I'd guess that size of tank will weigh a lot...
I have a very sturdy octagon coffee/end table (made in the 70's). Its very sturdy. Has a dorm room fridge on it right now, and thats heavy enough needs 2 men to move it, so Im pretty sure it can take the big hex tank.

Its a stopsign shaped end table with the cabinet space underneath.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #10 
1fish2fish

If you get an HOB filter you are probably going to need an extender on the intake tube. The bad thing about those tanks is they're freakishly tall but have little width or depth. To be honest I wouldn't put a betta in a tank like that, you're going to need to make sure there's tons of plants and places for him to rest as he goes to the surface. Also, if you are planning to add any other fish be careful with your stocking. 37 gallons sounds like a lot but with the limited surface area you're going to see issues.

For accessories you're going to want to find tall, med, and small silk plants. Put the tallest ones to the back and two back side panels and then the medium ones in front of that, then a couple small ones in the front to bring it together. Instead of getting a lot of small accesories, fill up the vertical space in the tank.

All said and done for accessories your looking at roughly $30-40 in silk plants, $40-50 in heating and filtration, $10+ on substrate (depending on how expensive you want to go), and anywhere from $10-20 on miscleaneous stuff (gravel vacuum with extender, thermometer, etc).

Also I highly recommend you get the API fresh water master test kit. It runs $20-30 depending on where you get it (Big Al's is the cheapest I've found) but it is priceless in keeping your water quality good.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote