Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Art
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2011, 07:51 PM   #1 
erinandares

Post Diary of a Wimpy Fish- Phaistos

Hey, all! I thought I would try my hand at a betta story and see what you think. :3 It's about Phaistos, and I'm sure some of you have seen me talking about him lately, about how much of a dork he is. I'm very sorry if my writing isn't currently up to par, I've been NaNoWriMo-ing like crazy and I needed a break, so this is what I did. I think my brain is a little burned out. -_- But anyway, this is what I came up with:

I'm actually freaking out right now. Like, about to lost my mind kind of freaking out. Let me explain. There is this girl that sits across the room from our tank underneath a fuzzy white blanket that looks like it could be the biggest bubblenest any of us have ever seen- I'm frankly quite jealous, if she managed to make that many bubbles. She is quite larger than us, though, so maybe that could explain it? But anyway, every so often throughout the days, this girl will get up out from under her soft bubbles and come up to the glass. She bends down- she's pretty tall- and these two blue eyes sit right at the water line and survey the conditions inside. I'm not about to give her the satisfaction of swimming up to greet her either, as Harmonia and Spiridion so readily do. I swam up about half the length of the tank and then darted back again, just to taunt her. That'll show her. But today, she's quite talktative.

"Phaistos," She said, and my eyes turned toward her warily, "I like your nest, boy. Too bad Harmonia's not looking, huh?"

I swam right up to her and flared with all the hurt she had just struck into me. Of course it was too bad Harmonia wasn't looking! God knows I spend all the time I can trying to catch that female's attention! Harmonia is right across the divider from me. There are several plants that block our view of one another, but near the top and front of the tank, we can see each other through the mesh. Harmonia is probably the most beautiful female I've ever laid eyes on. There used to be three others there with her. Seeing the way she took charge of them and kept them in line was what initially made me admire her. Then, when the mousy little red and green girl decided she was jealous of Harmonia's cream colored scales and blue irridescence and the big fight broke out, seeing Harmonia handle herself among the squabbling was inspiring. That was when my affection for her really soared.

The human girl's eyes got a bit sad looking at me flare at her. "Oh, come on boy, I dont want baby bettas."

Instantly embarassed by the mention of children, I darted away and squirmed behind my cave, between the white ceramic and the glass where it was dark and calm and I could gather my thoughts. Harmonia had been up at the glass trying to get the human's attention when the incident happened, so I'm sure she had heard the comment about babies. I could die of embarassment! When I swam back to the cave and made myself compact behind it, though, Harmonia darted back there with me. She swam right up to the divider behind the pot in her side of the tank and in front of the heater and looked me right in the eyes. I froze up. Stared back at her with my eyes wide and my mouth hanging open.

"Are you going to be allright?" She asked, looking back at me with an amused smile.

I tried to pick up what was left of my dignity and flared my fins up for her. "Of course! That girl just scared me, is all. She tapped the glass."

Both of us knew full well she didn't tap the glass, but neither of us called out my white lie. Across the ten gallons Harmonia inhabited, I heard Spiridion faintly laughing at me. I couldn't be bothered with him, though. I chose not to respond to him. Harmonia turned to her side and looked at me out of the corner of her eye with her beautiful fins spreading slowly, but testily in response to my flaring at her. My eyes counted the rays, which started a shade of deep cobalt blue and faded clear by the tip of her fin. As I scanned along the length of her anal fin, my eyes came to rest of her ovipositor, and I could have just keeled over belly up. She didn't really respond other than to smirk at me and quickly swim off. I hung my head.

Way to go, Phaistos... I told myself, and slinked out from behind the cave to go back to work on my bubblenest. The human girl was back again, this time talking to Spiridion. He had his golden fins spread out wide for her and wiggle danced like he was born solely for her entertainment. The only reason I didn't try swimming right over there to show him what for was because I already had my nice territory set up over here. He had his, I had mine, and there was a beautiful lady between us that I was more interested in than him. I took a breath and blew a bubble along the edge of my nest. I already felt myself calming down. This was good. I was so immersed in blowing bubbles that I didn't even notice the tube. The girl came and lifted the lid on the hood of the tank. I swam up to the lid, hoping for some food. Instead, she leaned her face over and looked down into the water with a bit of a frown. A few curls fell over her shoulder, and Harmonia tried to jump at them. The girl laughed and tucked them behind one ear. I saw her lower the tube in the water, and I instantly panicked. I knew what that was! She was going to siphon water out of the tank!

Although I was glad we were getting clean water, I was panicked for my nest! I swam up underneath it and darted back and forth worriedly. The girl started the siphon and I felt myself bob lower and lower as the water drained out into a large white bucket. As I looked up, my nest was sliding up the glass wall of the tank. I jumped for it. I couldn't think of anything else to do to protect it! But as the water level drained by about a third, I could no longer see any of my bubbles in the water. They were all on the glass. And I was freaking out.
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #2 
fishman12

That's good! Nice writing.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #3 
erinandares

Thanks, fishman. Lol. It's totally a true story, I just added a little dialogue between the two. He's such a character. xD I'll probably write more and keep it going. I just have to rifle through that journal of his some more... Lol. >.<
Old 11-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #4 
TequilatheBetta

Wow that's really good :) Keep on posting!
TequilatheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #5 
fishman12

Ha. Yeah. Hope you find some good material. ;)
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:04 PM   #6 
erinandares

A'ight, guys, I'mma go ahead and make a new post. It's Walking Dead night, though. So.... I'll be watching last week's rerun while I type. Lol... Well, here we are!

By the time the girl returned with the bucket of fresh water, I had started to seriously wear myself out trying to get to my nest. She spotted my frantic activity and peered around to my side of the tank. Her eyes came to rest on my nest, and I darted quickly from side to side underneath it.

"Oh, geez, buddy, I'm sorry." She frowned. She stood back up at the front of the tank, and started to pour the water.

She was moving her mouth, but I couldn't hear her over the rushing of water pouring into the tank. The current was gentler than normal, though.She had poured the water in very slowly, and my eyes lit up as I saw my nest float back up to the top of the tank, intact and beautiful as ever. I waited for her to stop pouring, and watched her squeeze several drops from a bottle into the flow of water that fell out of the filter. When she was paying attention again, I fixed my eyes on hers and blew a bubble of thanks. She just waved one finger at me and turned back around to go to her nest.

I swam up to the divider, and shimmied back and forth in place, letting my fins ripple in the water. Harmonia was busy playing in the bubbles, but when she turned my way, her eye was caught by the pink shimmer. She flitted over, popping a few bubbles with excited bounces as she came. She stopped abruptly right at the mesh.

"Yeah? Look at all these bubbles!" She chirped, and did a little flip. "I love them!"

"Look at my bubbles." I told her, with a proud smile on my face. "They're strong enough to last the water change."

Her gaze shot that way, then went back to me. "That's pretty good." She said slowly, and I could see the tiniest of an impressed light in her eyes.

I was instantly filled up with joy. I playfully nipped at her from my side of the mesh, and showed off my fins as I danced through the water for her. She courted back with me for a second, swirling and flicking her tail. She seemed to catch herself, though, and paused. After a second, she switched off her playful, carefree mood and darted inside the large, square vase in her divider section. As her blue shimmer disappeared between the broad leaves hanging from the top, I heaved a sigh.

"Harmonia...?" I said softly. Across the tank, Spiridion flicked his tail impatiently.

"Phaistos, she's hiding from you for a reason." He said, as if he knew everything about everything in the world.

I looked his way with a steady glare. Spiridion is bigger than me. He's stockier, with longer fins and perhaps manlier colors. He's dark, dark indigo. His body is. His fins are a golden shade of yellow, with bright blue edges and indigo spots on his dorsal. I've got crayon pink fins and white dragon scales. I'm a deltatail, though, where he's only a veiltail. And while I came to this home and this tank first, Spiridion was a bit older than me. I'm the only one making bubblenests, though. I secretly hold that in my head as a reminder of who was really the better fish.

"Yeah? And she's danced with you before, right? Because you have such a great bubblenest over there." I said sarcastically.

Spiridion attacked the mesh with righteous fury. I just turned and showed him my tail end, with a good flick of my fin just for lasting effect. Even though I had just basically showed my rear to him, even though I knew full well if there were to be a divider accident of any type, I would be toast, I felt on top of the world. I blew a few more bubbles. Thickened my nest. Rested in my cave for a while. Curled up in the gravel behind it for a nice nap. When I woke up, I looked up to the top of the tank and saw Harmonia hovering in the water at the divider's edge, with her eyes fixed on my nest. My heart soared- I had caught her showing interest without my prompting! I decided to surprise her. To go pay her a visit so we could dance together and I could bring her over to my side of the divider to see my nest up close. I glanced once at the girl across the room. She had a black and purple square in her lap- the thing that was continously playing music and that her fingers flew over at incredibly rapid speeds. Typing, she called it, although I wasn't sure if the thing was called typing or the activity was. She wasn't paying attention to us. I felt adrenaline pump through my body as I set out to find any hole anywhere in the divider that I could possibly squeeze through. I scanned the sides of the dividers, front and back for little spots where the mesh didn't entirely fit in and I could nose my way through. No such luck.

Determined to get to Harmonia, I swam to the bottom of the tank. With my face down close to the gravel, I nosed at the little blue spheres insistently. There were no holes underneath it, either. I paused there for a moment. Harmonia had seen me when I swam up to the front of the tank. She had just quickly swam away, though, to play in the sil plants and scan the bottom of the tank for a snack. I was watching her stick her little white nose into the gravel when an idea came to me. If she could dig for fallen food, couldn't I dig underneath the divider? I set to work. It took a good while, but eventually, I managed to make a sizeable tunnel. The mesh was still there, though, halfway into my tunnel project. I gave it a look to freeze hell over. I wasn't about to give in when I was this close to seeing Harmonia! I flailed about until I had my nose underneath the mesh. Finally! I didn't even bother with trying to be discreet anymore. I burst through to the other side, and Harmonia spun around, wide eyed. Instantly, I swam over to where she hovered, and the chase began.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #7 
MarinePsycho

Beautiful writing, I'll definitely check up on this.
MarinePsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:24 PM   #8 
Bettacaleb

Amazingly done bookmarked! Nicely done with the dialogue.
Bettacaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #9 
erinandares

D'aww, thanks guysss. :3 Phaistos is REALLY determined to get to Harmonia. @.@ Lol, what shall I do to remedy this???? We shall see. I'll probably be posting another chapter tonight. :p
Old 11-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #10 
erinandares

So after this episode here, Phaistos has stopped trusting me. >.> He's only recently come around, as apparently, being in his own five gallons away from Harmonia is indeed the end of the world. Sigh. Is it just me, or is this one longer? Should I cut down on the lengths of these a little bit? :/

"Phaistos, what are you doing over here?!" Harmonia blurted, as she darted away from my advances.

I caught up to her and nipped at her fin playfully. I didn't answer, as I was far too excited by finally being there in the same section of the tank as she was. The human girl hadn't noticed me there, yet. All I had to do was get Harmonia over beneath the mesh where I had come in. Suddenly, though, there was a loud bellow from my left. Harmonia took refuge behind the heater. I swirled around to see that Spiridion had taken notice of me. I hadn't thought about being next to Spiridion at all when I was so intent upon getting over here to Harmonia.

"Hephaistos, what do you think you're doing over here?!" Spiridion demanded. He darted at the mesh and flared his fins up to their full glory. I'm not going to lie, for a veiltail, he had some long, impressive fins.

I was not about to be intimidated by him, though. I swam right up to where he was and flared my fins up, right back at him. I puffed out my cheeks and my gills flared up. Spiridion made many attempts to bite me through the mesh, but I held my ground.

"You think you're so great and you're the boss of the tank? Well, I haven't seen you bust out of your five gallons!" I barked.

He went to the top of the mesh and jumped. He fell short, though, and landed back in his own water. There were these devices at the top, though. Put in place to keep us from jumping into each other's sections. Too bad I was too smart for those. When I was about to take my turn at biting the mesh, I was surprised by a ram in my side. I swirled through the water for a second before I turned around to face Harmonia, glowering at me.

"Go back home!" She shouted, and nipped at my dorsal fin.

That was when the human girl took notice of my antics. She popped up out of her nest and ran over to the tank. I instantly knew what was going to happen! She was going to put me in that net and take me out of the water! Of course, I would be put right back into it on my own side of the divider, but my harried brain hadn't really thought that far yet. And any amount of time above the water's surface, suspended in that green mesh, was nightmarish. I darted behind the tallest of the silk plants and skimmed along the bottom of the tank in a frantic effort to escape the net. Harmonia darted into her square vase.

"Phaistos, you are pink! This gravel is blue!" The human girl was saying. "I can still see you!"

I considered that for a moment. It was true. I couldn't possibly hope to hide from her... I decided I would just have to outswim her long enough that she would get bored... Or cram myself in between the heater and the wall... Or go down into that square vase like Harmonia. That was the best option, so I spun around and slinked along the bottom of the vase toward the front side of it. To my horror, the net was waiting there for me, and it swooped toward me like the maw of an enormous, hungry fish. I swam away in fright, to the heater to force my body behind it. The girl said some words I didn't know. She had to reach her hand in to move the square vase out of her way so she could see me. When I saw her maneuver the net toward me, I panicked and flailed and shot up to the top of the tank for a breath. She deftly caught me in the mesh, but I didn't even realize it until my body was touching it and I felt myself being lifted out of the water. I felt my body convulse in protest of the cool air above the water. How could there be such cold air outside if my tank was a nice seventy-nine degrees? I was panicked for my life. I could think of nothing but the warm, forgiving water I had just left. I thought she was going to just dump me out and let me sit there flopping around on top of the dresser on which we sat. Her voice had sounded very angry, earlier. Instead, she lowered the net into the water and reached in with two fingers to pinch the mesh and pull it slightly upward and off of my body. My fins came untangled from the folds of mesh and I felt myself slip into the water again smoothly. I took a deep breath through my gills, and then, I vanished from her view behind my cave- my safe spot.

She walked around to the side of the tank after she had let me into the water again and bent to look at me. It was humilliating that she had just weakened me and now she wanted to look at me? I didn't even have the energy to flare at her. I just curled up on the gravel and panted.

"I'm sorry, Phaistos, just calm down. It's not the end of the world." She told me.

I didn't even acknowledge her. It felt like the end of the world, to me. I refused to look at her while she reached in and found my hole. She plugged it up and reinforced it with some heavier rocks, and while she was at it, she made sure there were no other places to get through the divider. All the while, I didn't move. I only came out of my spot after she had gone back to her nest, and only to tend to mine. That girl- I swear!