Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2011, 12:11 AM   #1 
trumpet4life375

help on my sorority

i need some serious help with my sorority. i dont know what to do :(. so heres the deal, about a month or so ago i set up a sorority of 7 fish in a 10 gallon tank. they all were doing good for a little while and then they started nipping at eachother :(. i had to take out my little girl Alli and give her to my boyfriend to take care of for a little while. and then after i took her out, its like all of them turned on one fish and killed her :( i was at work all day and i came home to find a little dead khloe and i was devestated and so upset :(. her fins were completely gone and she was just terrible looking...so now i have 5 girls floating in their cups in the tank to keep them warm, but away from eachother so they cant hurt eachother. the dilemma i have is idk what im going to do to take care of them. i dont want to have to pick between 6 fish to keep (the 5 floating and the 1 my boyfriend is taking care of temporarily) so im not sure what i can do. i was thinking divider but im not sure..i was wondering if you guys have some input on what i should do with these guys. btw, i figured out what the problem was, i didnt get the 7 fish in my sorority from the same breeder which was my downfall :(. so any advice is welcomed because im baffled and i dont know what to do about my fishies :(
trumpet4life375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:15 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

I would suggest trying to get a bigger tank. I have my hands full with 4 sibling girls in a 20 gallon. Also, try adding a heck load of plants. When adding a new fish, always always rearrange everything so you are not putting a new fish in their territory. My tank is completely stuffed, and I still have Rose getting her tail nipped!

forgive the bad quality picture.
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:57 AM   #3 
GreenTea

I think the amount of girls you have in that tank is ok if it is densely covered/planted. Can you show us photos? Is the tank filtered? What I do if one girl gets nippy is I put her in "time out" - aka - a clear cup, tupperware container, or small glass tank and float her in the sorority for days, or weeks until the aggression lets up, replacing the water twice a day by dumping it into the tank and refilling.

You can try rearranging decor too. If I were you I'd thoroughly clean the tank, rearrange, and add density in plants and/or decor. Keep the girls where they can all see one another and slightly overfeed them for about 5 days before releasing them together again, or longer if you want to. Maybe wait until the other girl is better, add her floating as well, feed her a lot as well...If there's anything that will work, that will. Otherwise you might need to separate them.

The fish not being from the same breeder probably isn't the issue, although many say it does make things easier. Warm/clean water with tons of hiding spots and plants might fix things up, as well as a cool down for them. My girls are from several breeders. I have 12 girls in a 20 gallon, 2 of which are giants, and I'll be adding two more. Many would say this is overstocked because its over the 1 inch per gallon rule, but my tank is filtered well and densely planted with live plants which help to keep water clean and provide cover for them.

Another tip given to me that works great: slightly overfed girls are happy girls. Try adding variety to their diet or give everyone an extra pellet or two.

Last edited by GreenTea; 11-19-2011 at 05:03 AM.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

here is my 20GI have 10 girls in a 20 gallon. I started out with 5 in a 10 gallon. One giant girl I found dead Two were banned from the tank for agression. Then I upgraded to a 20G. All was well for a while but then I found one girl was pretty beat up (she later died from injuries) and the other one - another giant was missing scales.

Soroities are hit or miss. Some say getting them all from the same breeder is best but I dont think it makes any difference. Mine are ALL from walmart, different ages, different sizes. It all comes down to the individual bettas personality. One is a giant, most are normal sized and one was still a fry when I added her.

I think for a 10G, the max is either 5 or 6. Like Greentea said, lots of plants/stuff in the tank is best. It breaks up the line of sight and is supposed to curb agression. Supposedly you want it so full of plants that you can hardly see the fish. My girls all swim in a 1 foot area, literally on top of each other. I don't get it.

If they can't be together, you can always divide the tank up and keep them like that.

Here is my 20G, full of random stuff. I did have the end sectioned off, incase one was misbehaving but the divider wasnt big enough

Last edited by Tikibirds; 11-19-2011 at 10:03 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Yeah not too many follow the inch per gallon rule - mainly because no one would want to (or should) stuff a 5 inch goldie in a 5 gallon tank
I'm not sure but since I own so many bettas, amd never overfeed I can opinionate that bettas do not have a bad bioload - they really are a clean fish :p
Old 11-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #6 
trumpet4life375

thank you guys! tomorrow on my break im going to get some new plants at petsmart and stuff. based on the pictures of you guys's tanks, mine isnt planted enough, even though i thought i planted it pretty heavily im gonna try putting in some more decor though. btw tikibirds, your tank is really beautiful. im gonna take a look at my tank and see what i want to add in there and do the best i can (: thanks for all the input, i will definatly add some more plants in there. do you think i can keep an even number in there? because atm i have 5 girl bettas in my possesion, and my boyfriend is taking care of my injured one. i want to add her back in when she is all better, so do you think it will be okay to have 6 in there? as long as i have the tank heavily planted and what not of course
Old 11-19-2011, 11:37 PM   #7 
Sena Hansler

Get a breeder;s net and float her in there for a few days, after reintroducing ALL females together as a group, after rearranging all decor and adding decor. This will help :) Otherwise you put her into their territory. But yes technically you could, just keep in mind some girls are just not sorority girlies
Old 11-19-2011, 11:40 PM   #8 
trumpet4life375

okay, thank you very much for all your help (: im going to go ahead and get my little girl back from my boyfriend. i miss her so so much and she is my pride and joy. she is like the little teeny girl who i love so dearly :) she never fails to put a smile on my face <3
Old 11-19-2011, 11:42 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

I have one like that hehe :3 she is Rose. the little sister of the other three girlies. She has that... little sister act about her LOL
Old 11-19-2011, 11:54 PM   #10 
trumpet4life375

lol, exactly! shes the tiniest one of them all, and she is just so cute and adorable and never fails to make me smile. shes a cute little cellophane with red fins and a little red mouth :) shes so cute and make me so happy. i miss her :(