Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #11 
Sena Hansler

hehehe My Rose has red fins ^.^ once she was a bone white body with red fins.. now just a brown with iridescent purple/red, and her red fins.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:23 AM   #12 
trumpet4life375

awww :) she sounds like a cutie!
trumpet4life375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:51 AM   #13 
GreenTea

Yeah 6 will be fine, and since you're adding plants and rearranging, it won't be "their" territory anymore as Sena said, they'll be establishing new territories- they do this any time they are re introduced after being separated, had their tank rearranged, or have new fish added.

Remember to clean the tank well, go for density, feed them a lot for a meal or two before you let them out, and I bet things will be good. He's a photo of my tank for reference as well :)

A word of advice when picking up plants: often times plants sold at chain stores are not aquatic at all but are labeled as such. For live plants some good things to look for are hornwort, camboba, amazon swords, java moss, duckweed..just to name a few.

Video
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...t=MVI_3330.mp4

Good luck, feel free to PM me with any questions or comments and keep us updated!
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:07 PM   #14 
Sena Hansler

Yeah my tank is even more stuffed than that and I still see fin nipping - so don't see surprised to see an occassional chase or nipping - it'll still happen lol. As long as there is no ganging up, or constant pestering.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #15 
PixelatedPaint

Currently I have 5 females in my 20 gal sorority. I purchased them from Pets unlimited and all from the same breeder and batch. ( Females are scarce here) So I grabbed as many passive ones as I could. Which left one much larger aggressive one. Unfortunately for me I give in to little fishies far too easily and when I saw her all alone on my next visit, I purchased her and placed her in a divided 10 gallon. Luckily for me though, all 5 in my 20 gallon are doing great. I plan on adding more the next time they come in though. I seriously just sit and watch the behavior in the tank before even thinking about purchasing one. But it is hit or miss, I am just thankful mine are pretty passive.
PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #16 
GreenTea

You didnt try the aggressive one in your sorority first? They tend to mellow out...best to trust your gut though.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #17 
PixelatedPaint

I watched her nipping the others in the tank at the pets store. One was dead when I arrived. I am not risking it. But she does deserve a home and I have space so... no harm to me.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #18 
GreenTea

Well did the store have clean water good food and lots of cover? I'm just saying you have room and she might do well under the correct circumstances :)
Old 11-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #19 
PixelatedPaint

Hmmm good point. Well she is twice the size. Should I wait for the smaller ones to become used to their home first? I'm the kind of person who plays it safe but if she can mingle with the others peacefully I think she would be much happier.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #20 
GreenTea

I have giants in my sorority and they don't bother the girl who's about an inch long at all.

If you'd like to try, and assuming your tank has adequate cover, it doesn't matter if they're "used to" their home as bettas tend to explore and stake out a territory quickly. If they've been together more than two days or so they probably know who's alpha, where they are going to rest, etc.

Just overfeed for a day or two, float everyone so they can see each other, and then release and observe if you want to be conservative! You could also just rearrange some decor and after acclimating add the bigger girl and observe. There might be a few nipped fins, but if there are no signs of extreme aggression and they are calm within a few hours it should work out. They might just re-establish territories and move on with life! IMO size is not important, unless say maybe your whole tank was giant females and there was ONE tiny gal...