Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #31 
Sena Hansler

I got live plants :) Java fern, some tall grass like plant, and floating plants. I have the plants spaced out enough I can get around them, and if anything I think sand is better than gravel for plants... But I may be wrong! Get the hardy plants. And if you do not have UV lighting, I suggest just getting one... It really makes the tank look better, your females color up more, and the plants are a lot healthier and grow very nicely. Even then there are plants hardy enough that do not need very much lighting :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:55 PM   #32 
PixelatedPaint

very true. UV helps a lot too. Some also dose excel to assist nutrient lacking substrate. I also prefer sand over gravel ( the plastic coated kind and such) The plants do a bit better.

Update on my sorority: They are all getting along! Thanks for the advice on how to re introduce them! <3
PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #33 
GreenTea

You're welcome :) Glad we could help. I have gravel in my tanks but its natural and the stones are larger so the roots stay down well.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #34 
PixelatedPaint

Natural gravel is great too! I prefer sand and some peat or nutrient rich substrate underneath it. Once the sand is settle most plants stay down well, unless you have large bottom feeders like plecos...don't bother with fine grain sand...they will uproot everything.
PixelatedPaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #35 
trumpet4life375

i will think about the live plants, thanks guys. btw where do i get some of these plants? i went looking at petsmart yesterday and they didnt have much.
trumpet4life375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #36 
Sena Hansler

You can always order them - though some online people will not send them in cold weather, depending where you are that is and how long it takes to get to you. I bought my Java Fern online... I want to get in some moss balls next.

Ask Petsmart if they are willing to order in specific plants for you. And make sure you see the plants, see the fish, etc, in that tank for how healthy they are!
I was upset when the store gave me a floating plant that had black hair algae which endangered my female bettas (got caught by their gills!!) and weighed the poor plant down - and looked ugly.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #37 
trumpet4life375

okay, i might talk to them. thanks!
Old 11-26-2011, 12:12 AM   #38 
trumpet4life375

hey guys here is a pic of the new tank. i love the new rock in there :)
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #39 
Sena Hansler

oh wow! Very nice! I think they'll like that!
Old 11-26-2011, 09:08 PM   #40 
Smokey65662

Here is Alli, the girl I took home to try and get her all healed up. She is beat up pretty badly :/ and still a tiny bet stressed but she is doing lots better than when I got her. I can see white fin regrowth on all sides that are torn. Shes eating relatively well, just got to make sure the pieces are small enough for her. I keep the water at 82 degrees in this tank using a 100w heater (was on sale so I got it instead of the 50w since its right in front of a window w/ a fan in it). Im using stress coat and 1 TBS aq salt every water change (5 gal every week). Shes getting better :) Just need to get her a little bigger and stronger before we put her back in the sorority. Niki wanted to be in the pictures pretty bad and wasn't going to move till she was included lol. Niki doesn't mind the other girls :)

Smokey65662 is offline   Reply With Quote