Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2011, 12:35 AM   #1 
Oiseau

Kritter Keeper: Heater, Filter, Lights?

I recently bought a Medium size Kritter Keeper for my step-son's Christmas betta. Currently there is no filter or lights, but an adjustable heater from an old tank.

Does anyone with a Kritter Keeper have any suggestions for what types of filters, heaters, and lights I can use? Or which I should I avoid at all costs?

Thanks.
Oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:28 AM   #2 
BettaBuddy101

Any small filter should be fine in the tank. As for lights, I haven't seen a kritter keeper up close before, so I'm not sure if there's any way to affix lights, how about a desk lamp over the tank? The heater mentioned should be ok, just ensure it's not too powerful being designed for a larger aquarium, what watt is it?

Those tanks hold roughly 3 gallons, right? IMO, I wouldn't keep bettas in anything under 5 and my betta lives happily in a 7.4, but that's down to personal preference I suppose. Most people on here seem too keep them well enough in 3 and smaller, so I suppose they prove it can be done. As a personal preference if going for a kritter keeper tank, I'd go for the extra large which holds 5 gallons. If you provide the fish with plenty of plants and stimulation, I suppose a 3 gallon could work.

Last edited by BettaBuddy101; 11-19-2011 at 05:39 AM.
BettaBuddy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:39 AM   #3 
TaraVictor

Depending on the size of the kritter keeper and the watt of your existing heater, you can buy a small heater that just fixes onto the side of the tank. A 25w heater, for example, is ideal for tanks up to 5 gallons and they're pretty cheap. As for filters, a small filter would be ok.

In terms of lighting, a desk lamp could work just fine. You can buy desk lamps that clip onto the side of things such as desks. Perhaps that could work? Or something like this, which is specially designed to fit inside a kritter keeper:

http://www.discountedpetproducts.net/KRITTER_KEEPER_LIGHT_BOXED-UKP66331.html

Last edited by TaraVictor; 11-19-2011 at 05:53 AM.
TaraVictor is offline   Reply With Quote