Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2011, 07:18 AM   #1 
Sassington

What is this?

I noticed this pinhole on his dorsal fin and you can actually see through it... the edges of the hole are black - almost looks like it's burned.. could this be fin rot? He had something similar to this on the very top of his dorsal fin last week that actually looked like burned - it looked like it was ash from a piece of wood (You know what burnt embers looks like once they turn grey?) but that seems to have gone away...

I thought fin rot was the ends and tips of fins turning black and falling off... this is right in the middle of his dorsal fin and there is some black speckled here and there on his fins but I couldn't tell you how long that's been there... you can kind of see a little bit of that in this pic on his dorsal fin - what do I do for this? I apologize for the picture - it was the best one I could get and you only see it if he's flaring...

Any thoughts?
Attached Images

Sassington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:25 AM   #2 
Myates

Aww.. handsome guy..

Fin rot happens on damaged fins, which normally happens at the edges. Small pin holes sometimes happens with rot- but not a definite thing.

What size tank is he in, and what is your cleaning schedule? Are there any pointy plants in his tank at all? Even very small ones?

If your tank is cycled, you may want to move him to a smaller QT tank for a bit.. would do 50% daily water changes for the next few days to see if clean water alone will help repair it. If by the 4th day it seems to of gotten bigger instead of looking like it is healing (clear fin regrowth), then I would go ahead and start on AQ salt, 1 tsp per gallon, pre-dissolved with water conditioner, daily 100% water changes for 10 days max. If by the 5th day it doesn't look better, up it to 2 tsp per gallon. If by the 10th day it just has gotten bigger and worse, then we can try the medications. But rather go the easier-on-him route first- clean water, then salt, then if all else fails the medications.
If you have stress coat, I would add in a couple drops along with your water conditioner to help fin regrowth.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:49 AM   #3 
Sassington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Aww.. handsome guy..

Fin rot happens on damaged fins, which normally happens at the edges. Small pin holes sometimes happens with rot- but not a definite thing.

What size tank is he in, and what is your cleaning schedule? Are there any pointy plants in his tank at all? Even very small ones?

If your tank is cycled, you may want to move him to a smaller QT tank for a bit.. would do 50% daily water changes for the next few days to see if clean water alone will help repair it. If by the 4th day it seems to of gotten bigger instead of looking like it is healing (clear fin regrowth), then I would go ahead and start on AQ salt, 1 tsp per gallon, pre-dissolved with water conditioner, daily 100% water changes for 10 days max. If by the 5th day it doesn't look better, up it to 2 tsp per gallon. If by the 10th day it just has gotten bigger and worse, then we can try the medications. But rather go the easier-on-him route first- clean water, then salt, then if all else fails the medications.
If you have stress coat, I would add in a couple drops along with your water conditioner to help fin regrowth.

Good luck and keep us updated.
He's in a filtered 3 gallon tank.. I haven't tried to get his tank cycled because I read that under a certain size is pointless to try to cycle it... I just do a 50% change every week and his tank is scheduled to have 100% change today..

I have a 1 gallon spare tank I *could* use as a QT tank but since I don't have a heater for it and my current tank isn't cycled, I don't know how it would help him. He does have some silk plants in his current 3g that are small and I guess could potentially cause damage but they've been with him since the beginning (over a month at least) and this is the first time I've seen fin changes in his fins... I'll try to get a picture but I honestly don't think it's the plants... the coloration differences don't point to plant damage, IMHO, but what do I know? :) *shrug* I guess I will take the smaller of the three (in the pic) out because I know the taller ones have nothing damaging... his poor tank is so bare as it is.. anyway..

I'll do the water change today but I don't know about doing the QT tank thing - wouldn't be a whole lot different than what he's in now, other than water changes and dosing would be easier lol :D - oh, and it'd be colder without a heater :( Thank you! :)
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2011, 08:07 AM   #4 
Myates

He's in a filtered 3 gallon tank.. I haven't tried to get his tank cycled because I read that under a certain size is pointless to try to cycle it... I just do a 50% change every week and his tank is scheduled to have 100% change today..
You're correct, the tank will cycle itself in it's own way then they are smaller like that. How often are you cleaning the substrate? The filter doesn't remove the waste.. just sort of hides it. Regular siphoning of the substrate is needed in all tanks. You don't have to do 100%s regularly with a filtered tank, 2 50% per week for that size is enough and recommended- 1 50% water only, and 1 50% substrate cleaning.

I have a 1 gallon spare tank I *could* use as a QT tank but since I don't have a heater for it and my current tank isn't cycled, I don't know how it would help him.
QT tanks make daily 100% water changes easier on us, as well as it is easier to monitor and keep track of illnesses. But since you are just doing 50% water changes over the next few days, he can stay in his home tank. It's when if you do the salt treatment, or medication, that you use a QT tank since even though you haven't cycled your tank, it still holds good bacteria in it. You could always just move the heater to the 1 gallon if you have to go the medication route.

He does have some silk plants in his current 3g that are small and I guess could potentially cause damage but they've been with him since the beginning (over a month at least) and this is the first time I've seen fin changes in his fins... I'll try to get a picture but I honestly don't think it's the plants... the coloration differences don't point to plant damage, IMHO, but what do I know? :) *shrug* I guess I will take the smaller of the three (in the pic) out because I know the taller ones have nothing damaging... his poor tank is so bare as it is.. anyway..
The smaller one *could* of done it, as it has the harder, pointy "roots" sticking out, which could of jabbed his fin as he swam on the bottom scrounging for food. You could try to bury it deeper to cover those sharp points.
I don't understand when you say the coloration differences doesn't point to plant damage? Are you talking about rot all together..?

I'll do the water change today but I don't know about doing the QT tank thing - wouldn't be a whole lot different than what he's in now, other than water changes and dosing would be easier lol :D - oh, and it'd be colder without a heater :( Thank you!
Again, I would put the heater into the QT tank (if you need to do the salt/medication), and just keep an eye on the temp.
Welcome :)
Old 11-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #5 
Sassington

You're correct, the tank will cycle itself in it's own way then they are smaller like that. How often are you cleaning the substrate? The filter doesn't remove the waste.. just sort of hides it. Regular siphoning of the substrate is needed in all tanks. You don't have to do 100%s regularly with a filtered tank, 2 50% per week for that size is enough and recommended- 1 50% water only, and 1 50% substrate cleaning.
Since I'm new at this, my cleaning schedule went like this: the day I got the 3g tank, I thoroughly cleaned all gravel from the 1g he was in and the plants and whatnot were new from that day so those got a hot rinse... I set up everything, ran it for a few hours, and then put my guy in... the next week I did a 50% water change only (didn't have siphon tubing at that time), the following week I did another 50% with siphon, and last week another 50% with siphon, and today I'm going to do a 100%, if that sounds correct - I'll give the gravel a good rinse - does that sound like a good idea? I will follow your advice after today of the 2 50% per week - 1 50% water only and 1 50% with siphoning. This fin spot thing may be due to my not doing the 2 50%'s a week :/ I hope that's all it is. I was only doing 1 50% with siphoning a week. :\

QT tanks make daily 100% water changes easier on us, as well as it is easier to monitor and keep track of illnesses. But since you are just doing 50% water changes over the next few days, he can stay in his home tank. It's when if you do the salt treatment, or medication, that you use a QT tank since even though you haven't cycled your tank, it still holds good bacteria in it. You could always just move the heater to the 1 gallon if you have to go the medication route.
Gotcha :)

The smaller one *could* of done it, as it has the harder, pointy "roots" sticking out, which could of jabbed his fin as he swam on the bottom scrounging for food. You could try to bury it deeper to cover those sharp points.
Yep, that one's coming out today :)

I don't understand when you say the coloration differences doesn't point to plant damage? Are you talking about rot all together..?
Yes, that's what I meant - the black/dark speckles that weren't there before. His coloration is still the same otherwise :)

Again, I would put the heater into the QT tank (if you need to do the salt/medication), and just keep an eye on the temp.
Welcome :)
I'm with ya :)
Old 11-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #6 
Myates

The 2 50%s a week will help prevent rot from forming in the future. Rot will form wherever there is damage on the fins- usually black or white cottony puffs (there are two forms of rot, bacteria and fungus). I would do the 2 50%s for a while until he is cleared up, and a bit afterward to make sure it's all gone. I will have to check, but you *may* be able to get away with 1 50%, as long as you siphoned each time.. will have to check on that though, since I know the 2 is needed for 1-2 gallons, unsure exactly about 3. But for now, and for a bit, it will only help.
Your gravel is rather thin layer, wondering if you could get away with siphoning until 50% of the water is gone, and then doing a mid-week of 25%. So many options lol. If you have a testing kit, it would make it easier to see what works best for you. You can do the 2 50%s and test right before the end of the week one, and then work the mid week one down to 25%, testing the end of the week (the one after the 25%) and see where your ammonia/nitrate/ites stand. If they are all still 0, then you know what works best.
Forgot that ammonia can cause small pin holes as well in their fins. >.<

You could just cut off the the roots to the very top if you don't want to lose the plant, or bury it if you can.

As far as plant damage.. it's any form of damage to their fins that cause the rot.. even round holes can be from plants (but again, that isn't definite in each case, it can cause it, so can ammonia, and rot).