Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #1 
MykidsBetta

Beta and Goldfish

Yesterday was my son's b-day he a got a new tank its 3 gal and 2 snails. I knew about this gift and was prepared to include his betta.
A friend of mine also got him a goldfish, it is tiny and doesnt bother the betta, as of right now they are not even paying attention to each other.
the betta is very calm and not showing any signs of being bothered but what im worried about is the temp.

Ive been reading that bettas and goldfish shouldnt be together because of temp difference, not so much fighting. What do you think?
MykidsBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:02 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

Yes, sadly Bettas need warmer water than Goldfish, Goldfish are on the cooler water end. Plus, that tank would be ok for a Betta alone. The Goldfish, depending on the type will need a 30g tank or even up to a large pond. I am afraid you're not equipped for the Goldfish at all.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #3 
bettafish15

I agree they should not be together, they are in completely different classes. The 3gal is fine for the betta, but quite soon the goldfish will have to be moved to a larger tank, because they get big, which will eventually be at least a 30g, depending on the type of goldfish. If you aren't prepared to upgrade for the goldfish, it would be wise to re-home it.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:18 AM   #4 
TaraVictor

Yeah, I agree with the others. The tank simply isn't large enough for a goldfish, as they can grow to be pretty big. Also, goldfish are coldwater fish, not freshwater tropical fish. So yeah, unless you're prepared to get a bigger tank for the goldfish, I would re-home it.

As for tank mates, there isn't much you can fit into a 3 gallon tank without overstocking it. I think you should just stick with the snails and the betta.
TaraVictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:27 AM   #5 
MykidsBetta

Thanks everyone. Anyone want a golfish? lol
I wasnt prepared for a goldfish, it is really cute with its little fishie face but I just dont have room for it.

Thanks for the support!
MykidsBetta is offline   Reply With Quote